Dr. Lois A. Groth
PhD, University of Maryland
Elementary Education PK-6
Phone: (703) 993-2139
Fax: (703) 993-2013
Email: lgroth (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Thompson Hall 1806
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030
Dr. Lois Groth is a Professor in the Graduate School of Education. She joined the faculty in January 2000. As a faculty member of the Elementary Education Program, Dr. Groth teaches literacy methods and action research. Dr. Groth is the University Facilitator for the Professional Development Schools at Daniels Run Elementary and Westgate Elementary.
- Early literacy instruction
- Comprehensive literacy programs
- Critical reflection
- Teacher inquiry
Brown, E.L.; Groth, L.A., Parker, A; Laurits, E.; O’Brien, C. (2022) Pathways to Partnership: How a Differentiated Approach Sustained PDS Efforts During Times of Uncertainty. Special Themed Issue: School University Partnerships 15(1), 1-13.
Groth, L.A. (2021). Using SPACE wisely. In Quinzio-Zafran, J.M. and Wilkens, E.A. The New Teacher’s Guide to Overcoming Common Challenges: Curated Advice from Award-Winning Teachers. NY, NY: Routledge.
Groth, L.A. and Morrison, K. (2020). George Mason University and Daniels Run Elementary School PDS Partnership: Growing Collaborative Inquiry. School-University Partnership.
Parker, A.K., Parsons, S., Groth, L.A., Bean, A., Slattery, C. (2020). George Mason University’s Elementary Education PDS Program: Structures for shared governance, reflection and collaboration. In E. Garin and R. Burns (Eds.) The NAPDS Nine Essentials in Action: Cases of Professional Development Schools. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
Parker, A.K.; Groth, L.A.; & Byers, C.C. (2019). Designing and implementing site-based courses in elementary teacher preparation. The New Educator 15(2), 130-155.
Zenkov, K.; Parsons, S.; Parker, A.K.; Brown, E.L.; Groth, L.A.; Pytash, K. & Pellegrino, A. (2019). From project-based clinical interventions to collaborative inquiries: Partnership pathways to field-based teacher education. In Hodges, T.E. & Baum, A.C. (Eds.) Handbook of research on field-based teacher education Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Assessment and Differentiation (EDCI 545)
- Literacy Teaching and Learning in Diverse Elementary Classrooms I (EDCI 555)
- Literacy Teaching and Learning in Diverse Elementary Classrooms II (EDCI 556)
- Research and Assessment in Elementary Education (EDCI 559)
- Special Topics in Education (EDCI 597)
- Internship in Education (EDCI 790)
- Professional Development in Elementary, Literacy, and Secondary Education (EDPD 502)
- Introduction to Education: Teaching, Learning and Schools (EDUC 200)
- Workshop in Education (EDUC 600)
- Advanced Internship in Education (EDUC 994)
- Children's Literature for Teaching in Diverse Settings (ELED 358)
- Emergent and Early Literacy (ELED 410)
- Reading Development, Processes, Assessment, and Pedagogy (ELED 411)
- Mathematics Methods for the Elementary Classroom (ELED 452)
- Research and Assessment in Elementary Education (ELED 559)