PhD, University of Georgia
Exercise, Fitness and Health Promotion
Sports Medicine Assessment Research and Testing (S.M.A.R.T.) Laboratory
Phone: (703) 993-3247
Fax: (703) 993-2025
George Mason University
Science and Technology Campus
Bull Run Hall 208A
10890 George Mason Circle
Manassas, VA 20110
Study leave Spring 2018 semester
Dr. Jones earned a BA from the University of Tennessee (English), an MEd from the University of Houston (Exercise Science), a PhD from the University of Georgia (Exercise Physiology), and completed an NIH Postdoctoral Fellow at Cornell University (Physiology). She holds Fellow status in the American College of Sports Medicine and the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), and is an NSCA-Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist. The NSCA honored her with the 2008 Educator of the Year Award, and she was awarded a George Mason University OSCAR Mentoring Excellence Award in 2014. She has authored publications in the area of human performance and athlete health in peer-reviewed academic journals, and has presented regionally, nationally and internationally. Dr. Jones participates in editorial and review activities for several journals, including Assistant Editor-in-Chief, Strength and Conditioning Journal and Senior Editor, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. She currently serves a member of the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Board of Directors.
Human Performance and Athlete Health
- Assessment of Musculoskeletal Strength and Power
- Methods for Neuromuscular Development
- Nutrition Practices and Dietary Habits
- Strategies for Injury Reduction in Athletic Health Care
Peer-reviewed Published Articles (2012-present):
- Fields, J.B., Metoyer, C.J., Casey, J.C., Esco, M.R., Jagim, A.R., and Jones, M.T. (In press) Comparison of body composition variables across a large group of NCAA women athletes from six competitive sports. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.
- Oliver, J.M., Holt, C., Jenke, S.C., Stone, J.D., Jagim, A.R., and Jones, M.T. (In press) The effect of physical readiness training on reserve officer training corps (ROTC) freshmen cadets. Military Medicine.
- Stone, J.D., Kreutzer, A., Mata, J.D., Nystrom, M.G., Jagim, A.R., Jones, M.T., and Oliver, J.M. (In press) Changes in creatine kinase and hormones over the course of an American football season. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. PMID: 28394834
- Jagim, A.R., Camic, C.L., Patterman, A., Kisiolek, J., Luedke, J.L., Erickson, J., Jones, M.T., and Oliver, J.M. (In press) The accuracy of resting metabolic rate prediction equations in athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. PMID: 28682934
- Oliver, J.M., Jones, M.T., Anzalone, A.J., Kirk, K.M., Gable, D.A., Repshas, J.T., Johnson, T.A., Höglund, K., Blennow, K., and Zetterberg, H. (In press) A season of American football is not associated with changes in plasma tau. Journal of Neurotrauma. DOI: 10.1089/neu.2017.5064
- Hull, M.V., Neddo, J., Jagim, A.R., Oliver, J.M. Greenwood, M., and Jones, M.T. (2017) Availability of a sports dietitian may lead to improved performance and recovery of NCAA Division I baseball athletes. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 14 (29), 1-8. 1. PMCID: PMC5553601
- Jagim, A.R., Wright, G.A., Kisiolek, J., Jones, M.T. and Oliver, J.M. (2017) Position specific changes in body composition, hydration status, and metabolism during preseason training camp and nutritional habits of Division III football players. The Open Sports Sciences Journal 10, 17-26. DOI: 10.2174/1875399X01710010017
- Jones, M.T., Martin, J., Jagim, A.R., and Oliver, J.M. (2017) Effect of direct whole body vibration on upper body muscular power in recreational, resistance-trained men. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 31(5), 1371-1377. PMID: 27787468
- Anzalone, A.J., Blueitt, D., Case, T., McGuffin, T., Pollard, K.M., Garrison, J.C., Jones, M.T., Pavur, R.J., Turner, S.M., and Oliver, J.M. (2017) Positive vestibular/ocular motor screening (VOMS) increases recovery time following sports-related concussion in youth and adolescent athletes. American Journal of Sports Medicine 45(2), 474-479. DOI:10.1177/0363546516668624
- Jagim, A.R., Rader, O., Jones, M.T., and Oliver, J.M. (2017) The physical demands of multi-modal training competitions and their relationship to measures of performance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 31(5), 1212-1220.
- Merrigan, J.J., Tynan, M.N., Oliver, J.M., Jagim, A.R., and Jones, M.T. (2017) Effect of post-exercise whole body vibration with stretching on mood state, fatigue, and soreness in collegiate swimmers. Sports 5(1), 7, 1-9. DOI:10.3390/sports5010007
- Oliver, J.M., Jenke, S., Kreutzer, A., Mata, J.D., and Jones, M.T. (2016) Acute effect of cluster set and traditional set configurations on myokines associated with hypertrophy. International Journal of Sports Medicine 37(13), 1019-1024. DOI: 10.1055/s-0042-115031.
- Oliver, J.M., Jones, M.T., Kirk, K.M., Gable, D.A., Repshas, J.T., Johnson, T.A., Andreasson, U., Norgren, N., Blennow, K., and Zetterberg, H. (2016) Serum neurofilament light in American football athletes over the course of a season. Journal of Neurotrauma 33, 1784-1789.
- Oliver, J.M., Almada, A.L., Brace, L., Shah, M., Mitchell, J.B., Jones, M.T., Jagim, A.R., and Rowlands, D.S. (2016) Ingestion of high molecular weight carbohydrate enhances subsequent repeated maximal power: A randomized controlled trial. PLOS ONE. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0163009 September 16, 2016.
- Hull, M.V., Jagim, A.R., Oliver, J.M. Greenwood, M., Busteed, D.R., and Jones, M.T. (2016) Gender differences and access to a sports dietitian influence dietary habits of collegiate athletes. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 13 (38), 1-16. PMCID: PMC5070225
- Jones, M.T., Jagim, A.R., Haff, G.G., Carr, P.J., Martin, J., and Oliver, J.M. (2016) Greater strength drives difference in power between sexes in conventional deadlift. Sports 4(3), 43, 1-10.
- Oliver, J.M., Jones, M.T., Kirk, K.M., Gable, D.A., Repshas, J.T., Johnson, T.A., Andreasson, U., Norgren, N., Blennow, K., and Zetterberg, H. (2016) Docosahexaenoic acid supplementation likely attenuates a biomarker of head trauma in American football athletes. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 48(6), 974-982. PMID: 26765633
- White, J.B., Dorian, T.P. and Jones, M.T. (2016) Lateral squats significantly decrease sprint time in collegiate baseball athletes. Sports 4(1),19, 1-9.
- Jagim, A.R., Jones, M.T., Wright, G.A., St. Antoine, C., Kovacs, A., and Oliver, J.M. (2016) The acute effects of multi-ingredient pre-workout ingestion on strength performance, lower body power, and anaerobic capacity. Journal of the International Society of Sport Nutrition 13(11), 1-10. PMCID: PMC4784458
- Mata, J.D., Oliver, J.M. Jagim, A.R., and Jones, M.T. (2016) Sex differences in strength and power support the use of a mixed-model approach to resistance training programming. Strength and Conditioning Journal 38(2), 2-7.
- Oliver, J.M., Kreutzer, A., Jenke, S.C., Phillips, M.D., Mitchell, J.B., and Jones, M.T. (2016) Velocity drives power observed during back squat using cluster sets. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 30(1), 235-243.
- Oliver, J.M., Kreutzer, A., Jenke, S., Phillips, M.D., Mitchell, J.B., and Jones, M.T. (2015) Acute response to cluster sets in trained and untrained men. European Journal of Applied Physiology 115(11), 2383-2393.
- Jones, M.T. and Skidmore, B.L. (2015) Effect of a 12-week resistance exercise training program on the physical self-perceptions of children. Journal of Exercise, Sports and Orthopedics 2(3), 1-6.
- Jones, M.T. (2015) A model to create initial experiential learning opportunities in strength and conditioning. Strength and Conditioning Journal 37(5), 40-46.
- Jones, M.T., Jagim, A., and Oliver, J.M. (2015) Associations between testosterone, body composition, and performance measures of strength and power in recreational, resistance-trained men. Journal of Athletic Enhancement 4(2), 1-6.
- Jones, M.T. (2014) Progressive-overload whole-body vibration training as part of periodized, off-season strength training in trained women athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 28(9), 2461-2469. PMID: 24936902
- Jones, M.T. (2014) Effect of compensatory acceleration training in combination with accommodating resistance on upper body strength in collegiate athletes. Open Access Journal of Sports Medicine 5, 183-189. PMID: 25177154
- Girman, J.C., Jones, M.T., Matthews, T.D., and Wood, R.J. (2014) Acute effects of a cluster-set protocol on hormonal, metabolic and performance measures in resistance-trained males. European Journal of Sport Science 14(2), 151-159. PMID: 24533522
- Jones, M.T. and Lorenzo, D.C. (2013) Assessment of power, speed, and agility in athletic, preadolescent youth. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness 53(6), 693-700. PMID: 24247194
- Skidmore, B.L., Jones, M.T., Blegen, M., and Matthews, T.D. (2012) Acute effects of three different circuit weight training protocols on blood lactate, heart rate, and rating of perceived exertion in recreationally active women. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine 11, 660-668. PMID: 24150076
- Ayash, A.R. and Jones, M.T. (2012) The kettlebell Turkish get up: Applications for injury prevention and athletic performance. International Journal of Athletic Therapy and Training 17(4), 8-13.
- Jones, M.T., Ambegaonkar, J.P., Nindl, B.C., Smith, J.A., and Headley, S.A. (2012) Effects of unilateral and bilateral lower-body heavy resistance exercise on muscle activity and testosterone responses. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 26(4), 1094-1100. PMID: 22222320
Courses Taught This Semester
Other Courses Taught
- Special Topics (EFHP 598)
- Advanced Exercise Physiology (EFHP 610)
- Movement and Fitness Assessment (EFHP 611)
- Principles of Strength and Conditioning (EFHP 640)
- Project (EFHP 798)
- Independent Study in Health Education (HEAL 499)
- Principles of Human Nutrition (KINE 320)
- Seminar in Kinesiology (KINE 330)
- Kinesiology Internship I (KINE 341)
- Strength Training: Concepts and Applications (KINE 360)
- Kinesiology Internship III (KINE 490)
- Independent Study in Kinesiology (KINE 499)
- Strength Training: Concepts and Applications (PHED 364)
- Independent Study in Sport and Recreation Studies (SRST 599)
- Master's Project/Internship (SRST 798)
- Master's Thesis (SRST 799)