Ambegaonkar, Jatin P.
Dr. Jatin P. Ambegaonkar
PhD, University of North Carolina Greensboro
Co-Director, Sports Medicine Assessment Research and Testing (S.M.A.R.T.) Laboratory
Athletic Training Education Program
Exercise, Fitness and Health Promotion
Phone: (703) 993-2123
Fax: (703) 993-2025
Email: jambegao (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Science and Technology Campus
Katherine G. Johnson Hall 201F
10890 George Mason Circle
Manassas, VA 20110
A professor in the Athletic Training program, Dr. Ambegaonkar works with people across the lifespan to help them perform better, reduce their injury risk and improve their health.
He is a certified athletic trainer, strength and conditioning specialist, and occupational therapist.
Overall Research Vision: Health Across the Lifespan
- In Older Adults - using community-engaged arts programs he studies how arts (dance, music) and physical activity and can reduce falls risk, and positively address social isolation
- In Adults - using preventative screenings and epidemiological methods, he studies injury risk factors and ways to improve performance in artists and athletes
- In Children - using biosensors, he studies how the arts and physical activity can positively address the childhood obesity epidemic
Leadership and Professional Experience
- Strategic Vision Task Force and Ethics Committee, International Assoiciation for Dance Medicine & Science (IADMS)
- Past Board Director, Past Chair, Research Committee, IADMS
Founding Co-Director, Sports Medicine Assessment Research and Testing (SMART) Laboratory - focuses on injury prevention, neuro-
mechanical assessment, concussion, and sports performance across the lifespan
- Founder, SHARE (Supporting Healthy Arts Research) Consortium - a vibrant multi-institutional and multi-center collaborative consortium with the overarching vision of improving performing artists’ health
- Co-Founder, SADMSA (South Asian Dance Medicine & Science Association) to help improve the health, wellbeing and fitness of South Asian dancers
- Fellow, International Association of Dance Medicine & Science (FIADMS)
He has published over 60 articles, serves on Editorial Boards of the Journal of Athletic Training, Journal of Dance Medicine & Science and is a Peer-Reviewer for over 25 different journals.
Performing Artists & Dancers | Athletics and Sport | Health-related Quality of Life | Physical Activity | Biosensors | Injury Risk and Epidemiology | Concussions
* Student Mentoring
- Coogan SM, Schock C, Hansen-Honeycutt J, Caswell SV, Cortes N & Ambegaonkar J.P, (In Press) FMS Scores do not Predict Lower Body or Overall Injury Risk in Collegiate Dancers International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy
- Brezinski, T., Martin, J, & Ambegaonkar J.P., (In Press) Prospective Injury Epidemiology in Competitive Collegiate Club Sports, Quidditch & Ultimate Frisbee, Athletic Training & Sports Health Care
- Kozai A. & Ambegaonkar J.P, (In Press) Creating Health Literacy in the Collegiate Dancer: Provision and Perceptions of Health-Related Information Education in University Dance Programs (In Press) Journal of Dance Medicine & Science
- Henn, E., Smith T, Ambegaonkar, J.P., & Wyon MA. (In Press) Low back pain and injury in ballet, modern, and hip-hop dancers: a systematic literature review International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy
- Fauntroy, V., Nolton, E., & Ambegaonkar J.P. (In Press) Health-Related Quality of Life (HRQoL) Outcome Measures Used in Dance: A Systematic Review (In Press) International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy
- Pope J, Helwig K., Morrison S., Estep A., Caswell, S., Ambegaonkar, J.P & Cortes, (2019) N. Multifactorial exercise and dance-based interventions are effective in reducing falls risk in community-dwelling older adults: a comparison study Gait & Posture 70:370-375
- Aquino J, Amasay T. & Ambegaonkar, J.P., (2019) Lower extremity biomechanics and muscle activity differ between “new” and “dead” pointe shoes in professional ballet dancers Sports Biomechanics Jan 31:1-12.
- Kerr Z., Cortes, N., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, A. M, Prebble, M., Hallsmith, K. R., & Caswell, S.V. (2019) The epidemiology of injuries in middle school football, 2015-2017: The ACHIEVES Project American Journal of Sports Medicine 47(4):933-941
- Fauntroy V., Fyock M, Hansen-Honeycutt J, & Ambegaonkar JP (2019) Using the selective functional movement assessment (SFMA) to evaluate dancers’ functional limitations and dysfunctions: a critical appraisal of the topic Journal of Sports Rehabilitation 19:1-6
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Pierce, C., Cortes, N., Marttinen, R., & Caswell, S. (2018). Physical activity and enjoyment during Dance-focused physical education classes in middle school girls. International Journal of Physical Education, 55(4), 23–34.
- Ambegaonkar, J.P., Caswell, S. V. Cortes, N. & Wyon, M. (2018) Single Leg Hop distance but not Vertical jump height predicts injury incidence in female collegiate dancers Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 32(7):2018-2024
- Hansberger BL, Slater L, Hart JM, & Ambegaonkar, J.P., (2018) Peak lower extremity landing kinematics in dancers and non-dancers Journal of Athletic Training 53(4):379-385
- Ambegaonkar, J.P., Caswell, S. V. & Cortes, N. (2018) Lower extremity horizontal work, vertical power, and balance are related, but only horizontal work predicts balance in female collegiate dancers Journal of Dance Medicine & Science 22(2):75-80
- Nolton, E A. & Ambegaonkar, J.P., (2018) Recognizing and managing snapping hip syndrome in dancers to decrease the risk of concomitant issues Medical Problems of Performing Artists 33(4) 286-291
- Popovic T., Caswell S, Benjaminse, A, Siragy, T., Ambegaonkar, J.P., & Cortes, N. (2018) Effects of reduced relative implicit and explicit feedback on lower extremity jump-landing mechanics: a preliminary analysis Journal of Experimental Orthopedics 5(1):12
- Romm KE, Ambegaonkar J.P., Caswell A.M., Cortes N, Parham C, Kerr, Z., Broshek, D., & Caswell S.V. (2018) School Teachers and Administrators differ in their perceptions of concussions, management, and implementation of return-to-learn (RTL) guidelines Journal of School Health; 88(11):813-820.
- Estep, A., Morrison, S., Caswell S.V., Ambegaonkar, J.P., & Cortes, N. (2018) Differences in pattern of variability for lower extremity kinematics between walking and running Gait & Posture 60:111-115.
- Kerr Z., Cortes, N, Caswell, A. M., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Hallsmith, K. R., Milbert, F. & Caswell, S.V. (2017) Concussion rates in United States middle school athletes American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 53(6) 914-918
- Ambegaonkar, J. P (2017) Weight training for South Asian Dancers, Loud Applause, May
- Ambegaonkar, J.P., Cortes, N., Caswell, S.V., Ambegaonkar, G.P., & Wyon, M. (2016) Lower extremity hypermobility, but not core muscle endurance influences balance in female collegiate dancers. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 11(2), 220-229
- James, J., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, S. V., Onate, J., & Cortes, N., (2016) Analyses of landing mechanics in Division I athletes using the landing error scoring system. Sports Health 8(2) 182-86
- Shimokochi, Y., Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Meyer E., (2016) Changing sagittal plane body positions influences tibiofemoral forces and noncontact anterior cruciate ligament injury risk during single-leg landing. Journal of Athletic Training 51(9) 669-681
- Caswell S.V., Ausborn A., Diao G., Johnson D.C., Johnson T.S., Atkins R., Ambegaonkar J.P., & Cortes N. (2016) Anthropometrics, physical performance, and injury characteristics of youth American football. Orthopedic Journal of Sports Medicine 4(8) doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2016.08.084
- Ambegaonkar, J.P. Mettinger, L., Burtt, A., Caswell, S.V., Ambegaonkar, S. J. & Cortes, N. Hip strength, balance, and risk of ACL injury (2015) Lower Extremity Review, June, 51-61.
- Caswell, S. V., Cortes, N., Chabolla, M., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, A.M., & Brenner, J., (2015) Preparticipation physical evaluation policies and cardiovascular screening differ among states. Pediatrics 135(1) 26-32.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, A. M., Kenworthy, K., Cortes, N. & Caswell, S. V., (2014) Lumbar lordosis in female collegiate gymnasts and dancers Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 29(4) 189-92
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., (2014) Encouraging upper body fitness training for dancers, (2014) The IADMS Bulletin for Teachers, 5(1) 11-12
- Cortes, N., Porter, L.D., Ambegaonkar, J.P., & Caswell, S. (2014). Postural stability does not differ among female sports with high risk of anterior cruciate ligament injury. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 29(4) 216-20.
- McCabe T.R., Ambegaonkar J. P., Wyon M, Redding E. (2014) Extension Neck Injury in Female DanceSport Competitors International Journal of Athletic Training and Therapy. 19(3) 32-36
- McCabe T.R., Ambegaonkar J. P., Redding E., Wyon M, (2014) Fit to dance survey: A comparison with DanceSport injuries. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 29(2) 102-110.
- Ambegaonkar, J.P. Mettinger, L., Burtt, A., Caswell, S.V., & Cortes, N. (2014) Relationships among core endurance, hip strength, and balance in collegiate female athletes. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy 9(5) 605-16
- Cortes, N., Greska, E., Ambegaonkar J.P., Kollock, R.O., Caswell, S.V., & Onate, J. A. (2014) Knee kinematics is altered post-fatigue while performing a crossover task. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy 22(9) 2202-8
- Caswell, S. V., York, M., Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Cortes, (2014) Neck strengthening and concussion risk reduction in youth sport International Journal of Athletic Training and Therapy 19(6) 22-27
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, S. V., Winchester, J., Shimokochi, Y., Cortes, N., & Caswell, A. M. (2013) Balance comparisons between female dancers and active non-dancers. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport 84(1) 24-29.
- McCabe T.R., Wyon M, Ambegaonkar J. P., Redding E. (2013) A bibliographic review of medicine and science research in DanceSport. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 28(2) 70-79.
- Cortes, N. C., Greska, E., Kollock, R., Ambegaonkar, J. P. & Onate J. (2013) Changes in lower extremity biomechanics due to a short-term fatigue protocol. Journal of Athletic Training 48(3) 306-13.
- Shimokochi, Y., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Lee, S. Y., Meyer E., & Shultz, S. J. (2013) Changing sagittal plane body position during single-leg landings influences the risk of non-contact anterior cruciate ligament injury Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy 21(4) 888-97.
- Gordon, A., Ambegaonkar, J. P. & Caswell S.V. (2013) Relationships among core strength, hip external rotator muscle strength, and star excursion balance test scores in female lacrosse players. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy 8(2) 97-104.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Cortes, N., & Ambegaonkar, S. J. (2012) Ankle braces and athletic performance, Lower Extremity Review, June, 51-61.
- Krasnow, D., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Wilmerding, G., Stecyk, S., Koutedakis, Y. & Wyon, M., (2012) Electromyographic comparison of grand battement devant at the barre, in the center, and traveling. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 27(3) 143-156.
- Rickman, A., Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Cortes, N. (2012) Core stability and injuries: implications for dancers. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 27(3) 159-165.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, S. V., Winchester, J. B., Caswell, A. M. & Andre, M. (2012) Upper-body muscular endurance in female university-level modern dancers: a pilot study. Journal of Dance Medicine and Science. 16(1) 3-7.
- Bowles, C., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Cortes, N., & Caswell S. V. (2012) Footwear for distance runners: The minimalism trend. International Journal of Athletic Training and Therapy. 17(4) 14-18.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, S. V., & Caswell, A. M. (2012) Relationships of approved clinical instructors’ evaluations of athletic training student clinical performance and grade point average. Athletic Training Education Journal 7(4) 152-56.
- Jones, M. T., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Nindl, B. C., Smith, J., & Headley, S. A. (2012) Effects of unilateral and bilateral lower-body heavy resistance exercise on muscle activity and testosterone responses. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 26(4) 1094-1100.
- Gunning, S., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, A. M., Porter, P. Johnson, T. S., Johnson, D. C. & Caswell, S. V. (2012) Tibial eminence fracture in a youth football player. International Journal of Athletic Training and Therapy. 17(2) 16-20.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Shultz, S. J., Perrin, D. H., Schmitz, R. J., Ackerman, T. A., & Schulz, M. R. (2011) Lower body stiffness and muscle activity differences between female dancers and basketball players during drop jumps. Sports Health, 3(1) 89-96.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Redmond, C., Winter, C., Cortes, N., Ambegaonkar, S. J., Guyer, S., & Thompson, B. (2011) Effects of ankle stabilizers on vertical jump, agility, and dynamic balance performance. Foot and Ankle Specialist. 4(6) 366-372.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Caswell, S. V. (2011) Development and implementation of an in-house healthcare program for university-level performing artists. Work. 40(3) 261-268.
- Krasnow, D., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Stecyk, S., Wilmerding, G., Wyon, M., & Koutedakis, Y. (2011) Development of a dynamometer anchoring system for collection of maximal voluntary isometric contractions in biomechanics research on dancers. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 26(4) 185-194.
- Long, A. S., Ambegaonkar, J. P. & Fahringer, P. M. (2011) Injury reporting rates and injury concealment patterns differ between high-school cirque performers and basketball players. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 26(4) 200-205.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Shultz, S. J., & Perrin, D. H. (2011) A subsequent movement alters lower extremity muscle activity and kinetics in drop jumps versus drop landings. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 25(10) 2781-2788.
- Snyder J. G., Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Winchester, J. B. (2011) Efficacy of cryotherapy in treating delayed onset muscle soreness. International Journal of Athletic Training and Therapy 16(4) 28-32
- Magness, S., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, S. V & Jones, M. (2011) Lower extremity stress fractures in runners: risk factors and preventive interventions. International Journal of Athletic Training and Therapy 16(4) 11-15.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Shultz, S. J. (2010) Changing filtering parameters affects lower extremity pre-landing muscle activation onset times. Isokinetics and Exercise Science, 18(3) 125-132.
- Brazen, D. M., Todd, M. K., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Wunderlich, R., & Peterson, C. (2010) The effect of fatigue on landing biomechanics in single-leg landings. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, 20 286-292.
- Caswell, S. V., Ambegaonkar, J P., & Caswell, A. M. (2010) Examination of personality traits in athletic training students. Athletic Therapy Today 15(6) 37-40.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P. (2009) Future directions in dance medicine and science research (part 2): Athletic training, International Association for Dance Medicine and Science Newsletter, 16(4), 2-4.
- Caswell, S. V., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, A. M., & Gould, T. E. (2009). Antecedents of ethical decision making: intercollegiate sporting environments as clinical education and practice settings. Journal of Allied Health, 38(1) 39-46.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Shultz, S. J., Perrin, D. H., & Schulz, M. R. (2009) Anterior cruciate ligament injury in collegiate female dancers. Athletic Therapy Today, 14(4) 13-16.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Caswell, S. V. (2009). Dance program administrators’ perceptions of athletic training services. Athletic Therapy Today, 14(3) 17-19.
- Sides, S. N., Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Caswell, S. V. (2009) High incidence of shoulder injuries in collegiate modern dance students. Athletic Therapy Today, 14(4) 43-46.
- Shultz, S. J., Shimokochi, Y., Nguyen, A., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Schmitz, R. J., Beynnon, B. D., et al. (2006). Non-weight bearing anterior knee laxity is related to anterior tibial translation during transition from non-weight bearing to weight bearing. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 24(3) 516-523.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P. (2005). Dance medicine: at the university level. Dance Research Journal, 37(2) 113-119.
Recent Grant Funders and Projects
- Creative Forces: National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), Department of Veteran Affairs (VA), Department of Defense (DoD): Intergenerational Arts Engagement in Servicemembers and Veterans
- National Endowment for the Arts (NEA): Arts Engagement in Older Adults
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) via the Virginia Department of Health (VDH): Virginia Concussion Initiative - Concussion Policy Implementation
- Potomac Health Foundation: ACHIEVES - Athletic Training Healthcare in Schools, POISED - Falls Risk Prevention in Older Adults using Dance-based (Lebed Method) and Multi-modal Exercise (SAIL)
- Novant Hospital Community Foundation: Physical Activity and Enjoyment during dance focused and other Physical Education in Middle Schools
- US Department of State: Sport Diplomacy Program
- Physical Assessment of the Lower Body (ATEP 250)
- Clinical Techniques I: Physical Assessment of the Lower Body (ATEP 255)
- Physical Assessment of the Upper Body (ATEP 260)
- General Medical Conditions and Pharmacology in Physically Active Populations (ATEP 270)
- Functional Anatomy (ATEP 300)
- Advanced Functional Anatomy (ATEP 310)
- Therapeutic Interventions Foundations (ATEP 320)
- Lower Body Physical Assessment (ATEP 340)
- Athletic Training Clinical Techniques 1 (ATEP 345)
- Practicum III: Therapeutic Modalities (ATEP 356)
- Pathopharmacology (ATEP 400)
- Senior Seminar in Athletic Training (ATEP 441)
- Practicum 5 Professional Integration (ATEP 456)
- Athletic Training Research (ATEP 480)
- Independent Study in Athletic Training (ATEP 499)
- Lower Body Physical Assessment (ATEP 540)
- Athletic Training Clinical Techniques 1 (ATEP 545)
- Pathopharmacology (ATEP 600)
- Athletic Training Research (ATEP 680)
- Independent Study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (EDUC 897)
- Prevention, Recognition, and Management of Fitness Related Injuries (EFHP 526)
- Special Topics (EFHP 598)
- Independent Study EFHP (EFHP 599)
- Research Methods for Applied Kinesiology (EFHP 620)
- Scientific Communications Seminar (EFHP 690)
- Project (EFHP 798)
- Thesis (EFHP 799)
- Careers in the Academy Seminar (EFHP 820)
- Doctoral Seminar in Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion (EFHP 840)
- Critical Perspectives in Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion (EFHP 860)
- Nutrition (HEAL 330)
- Principles of Human Nutrition (KINE 320)
- Independent Study in Kinesiology (KINE 499)