Ambegaonkar, Jatin P.
Dr. Jatin Ambegaonkar
PhD, University of North Carolina Greensboro
Co-Director, Sports Medicine Assessment Research and Testing (S.M.A.R.T.) Laboratory
Athletic Training Education Program
Exercise, Fitness and Health Promotion
Phone: (703) 993-2123
Fax: (703) 993-2025
Email: jambegao (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Science and Technology Campus
Katherine G. Johnson Hall 201F
10890 George Mason Circle
Manassas, VA 20110
- Certified Athletic Trainer, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Occupational Therapist
Founding Co-Director, Sports Medicine Assessment Research and Testing (SMART) Laboratory - focuses on lower extremity injury prevention, neuro-
mechanical assessment of lower extremity, concussion, and sports performance across the lifespan
- Founder, SHARE (Supporting Healthy Arts Research) Consortium - a Vibrant multi-institutional and multi-center collaborative consortium with the overarching vision of improving dancer and performing artists’ health
- Co-Founder, SADMSA (South Asian Dance Medicine & Science Association) to help improve the health, wellbeing and fitness of South Asian dancers
- Fellow, International Association of Dance Medicine & Science (FIADMS)
- Past Board Director, Past Chair, Research Committee, IADMS
Research Vision = Arts for Health, Health for Artists
- In Children - using biosensors, he examines how dancing can positively address the childhood obesity epidemic
- In Adult Dancers - using preventative screenings and epidemiological methods to examine injury risk factors and ways to improve artistic performance
- In Older Adults - using community-engaged arts programs he is examining how implementing arts (dance and music) can reduce falls risk, and positively address social isolation issues.
Dr. Ambegaonkar has published over 60 articles, serves on Editorial Boards of the Journal of Athletic Training, The Journal of Dance Medicine & Science and the Journal Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation and is a Peer-Reviewer for over 20 different journals
Dancers | Performing Artists | Health-related Quality of Life | Physical Activity | Lower Body Injury | Biosensors | Injury Epidemiology | Concussions |
- Henn, E., Smith T, Ambegaonkar, J.P., & Wyon MA. (In Press) Low back pain and injury in ballet, modern, and hip-hop dancers: a systematic literature review International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy
- Fauntroy, V., Nolton, E., & Ambegaonkar J.P. (In Press) Health-Related Quality of Life (HRQoL) Outcome Measures Used in Dance: A Systematic Review (In Press) International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy
- Brezinski, T., Martin, J, & Ambegaonkar J.P., (In Press) Prospective Injury Epidemiology in Competitive Collegiate Club Sports, Quidditch & Ultimate Frisbee, Athletic Training & Sports Health Care
- Pope J, Helwig K., Morrison S., Estep A., Caswell, S., Ambegaonkar, J.P & Cortes, (2019) N. Multifactorial exercise and dance-based interventions are effective in reducing falls risk in community-dwelling older adults: a comparison study Gait & Posture 70:370-375
- Aquino J, Amasay T. & Ambegaonkar, J.P., (2019) Lower extremity biomechanics and muscle activity differ between “new” and “dead” pointe shoes in professional ballet dancers Sports Biomechanics Jan 31:1-12.
- Kerr Z., Cortes, N., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, A. M, Prebble, M., Hallsmith, K. R., & Caswell, S.V. (2019) The epidemiology of injuries in middle school football, 2015-2017: The ACHIEVES Project American Journal of Sports Medicine 47(4):933-941
- Fauntroy V., Fyock M, Hansen-Honeycutt J, & Ambegaonkar JP (2019) Using the selective functional movement assessment (SFMA) to evaluate dancers’ functional limitations and dysfunctions: a critical appraisal of the topic Journal of Sports Rehabilitation 19:1-6
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Pierce, C., Cortes, N., Marttinen, R., & Caswell, S. (2018). Physical activity and enjoyment during Dance-focused physical education classes in middle school girls. International Journal of Physical Education, 55(4), 23–34.
- Ambegaonkar, J.P., Caswell, S. V. Cortes, N. & Wyon, M. (2018) Single Leg Hop distance but not Vertical jump height predicts injury incidence in female collegiate dancers Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 32(7):2018-2024
- Hansberger BL, Slater L, Hart JM, & Ambegaonkar, J.P., (2018) Peak lower extremity landing kinematics in dancers and non-dancers Journal of Athletic Training 53(4):379-385
- Ambegaonkar, J.P., Caswell, S. V. & Cortes, N. (2018) Lower extremity horizontal work, vertical power, and balance are related, but only horizontal work predicts balance in female collegiate dancers Journal of Dance Medicine & Science 22(2):75-80
- Nolton, E A. & Ambegaonkar, J.P., (2018) Recognizing and managing snapping hip syndrome in dancers to decrease the risk of concomitant issues Medical Problems of Performing Artists 33(4) 286-291
- Popovic T., Caswell S, Benjaminse, A, Siragy, T., Ambegaonkar, J.P., & Cortes, N. (2018) Effects of reduced relative implicit and explicit feedback on lower extremity jump-landing mechanics: a preliminary analysis Journal of Experimental Orthopedics 5(1):12
- Romm KE, Ambegaonkar J.P., Caswell A.M., Cortes N, Parham C, Kerr, Z., Broshek, D., & Caswell S.V. (2018) School Teachers and Administrators differ in their perceptions of concussions, management, and implementation of return-to-learn (RTL) guidelines Journal of School Health; 88(11):813-820.
- Estep, A., Morrison, S., Caswell S.V., Ambegaonkar, J.P., & Cortes, N. (2018) Differences in pattern of variability for lower extremity kinematics between walking and running Gait & Posture 60:111-115.
- Kerr Z., Cortes, N, Caswell, A. M., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Hallsmith, K. R., Milbert, F. & Caswell, S.V. (2017) Concussion rates in United States middle school athletes American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 53(6) 914-918
- Ambegaonkar, J. P (2017) Weight training for South Asian Dancers, Loud Applause, May
- Ambegaonkar, J.P., Cortes, N., Caswell, S.V., Ambegaonkar, G.P., & Wyon, M. (2016) Lower extremity hypermobility, but not core muscle endurance influences balance in female collegiate dancers. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 11(2), 220-229
- James, J., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, S. V., Onate, J., & Cortes, N., (2016) Analyses of landing mechanics in Division I athletes using the landing error scoring system. Sports Health 8(2) 182-86
- Shimokochi, Y., Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Meyer E., (2016) Changing sagittal plane body positions influences tibiofemoral forces and noncontact anterior cruciate ligament injury risk during single-leg landing. Journal of Athletic Training 51(9) 669-681
- Caswell S.V., Ausborn A., Diao G., Johnson D.C., Johnson T.S., Atkins R., Ambegaonkar J.P., & Cortes N. (2016) Anthropometrics, physical performance, and injury characteristics of youth American football. Orthopedic Journal of Sports Medicine 4(8) doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2016.08.084
- Ambegaonkar, J.P. Mettinger, L., Burtt, A., Caswell, S.V., Ambegaonkar, S. J. & Cortes, N. Hip strength, balance, and risk of ACL injury (2015) Lower Extremity Review, June, 51-61.
- Caswell, S. V., Cortes, N., Chabolla, M., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, A.M., & Brenner, J., (2015) Preparticipation physical evaluation policies and cardiovascular screening differ among states. Pediatrics 135(1) 26-32.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, A. M., Kenworthy, K., Cortes, N. & Caswell, S. V., (2014) Lumbar lordosis in female collegiate gymnasts and dancers Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 29(4) 189-92
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., (2014) Encouraging upper body fitness training for dancers, (2014) The IADMS Bulletin for Teachers, 5(1) 11-12
- Cortes, N., Porter, L.D., Ambegaonkar, J.P., & Caswell, S. (2014). Postural stability does not differ among female sports with high risk of anterior cruciate ligament injury. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 29(4) 216-20.
- McCabe T.R., Ambegaonkar J. P., Wyon M, Redding E. (2014) Extension Neck Injury in Female DanceSport Competitors International Journal of Athletic Training and Therapy. 19(3) 32-36
- McCabe T.R., Ambegaonkar J. P., Redding E., Wyon M, (2014) Fit to dance survey: A comparison with DanceSport injuries. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 29(2) 102-110.
- Ambegaonkar, J.P. Mettinger, L., Burtt, A., Caswell, S.V., & Cortes, N. (2014) Relationships among core endurance, hip strength, and balance in collegiate female athletes. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy 9(5) 605-16
- Cortes, N., Greska, E., Ambegaonkar J.P., Kollock, R.O., Caswell, S.V., & Onate, J. A. (2014) Knee kinematics is altered post-fatigue while performing a crossover task. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy 22(9) 2202-8
- Caswell, S. V., York, M., Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Cortes, (2014) Neck strengthening and concussion risk reduction in youth sport International Journal of Athletic Training and Therapy 19(6) 22-27
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, S. V., Winchester, J., Shimokochi, Y., Cortes, N., & Caswell, A. M. (2013) Balance comparisons between female dancers and active non-dancers. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport 84(1) 24-29.
- McCabe T.R., Wyon M, Ambegaonkar J. P., Redding E. (2013) A bibliographic review of medicine and science research in DanceSport. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 28(2) 70-79.
- Cortes, N. C., Greska, E., Kollock, R., Ambegaonkar, J. P. & Onate J. (2013) Changes in lower extremity biomechanics due to a short-term fatigue protocol. Journal of Athletic Training 48(3) 306-13.
- Shimokochi, Y., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Lee, S. Y., Meyer E., & Shultz, S. J. (2013) Changing sagittal plane body position during single-leg landings influences the risk of non-contact anterior cruciate ligament injury Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy 21(4) 888-97.
- Gordon, A., Ambegaonkar, J. P. & Caswell S.V. (2013) Relationships among core strength, hip external rotator muscle strength, and star excursion balance test scores in female lacrosse players. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy 8(2) 97-104.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Cortes, N., & Ambegaonkar, S. J. (2012) Ankle braces and athletic performance, Lower Extremity Review, June, 51-61.
- Krasnow, D., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Wilmerding, G., Stecyk, S., Koutedakis, Y. & Wyon, M., (2012) Electromyographic comparison of grand battement devant at the barre, in the center, and traveling. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 27(3) 143-156.
- Rickman, A., Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Cortes, N. (2012) Core stability and injuries: implications for dancers. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 27(3) 159-165.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, S. V., Winchester, J. B., Caswell, A. M. & Andre, M. (2012) Upper-body muscular endurance in female university-level modern dancers: a pilot study. Journal of Dance Medicine and Science. 16(1) 3-7.
- Bowles, C., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Cortes, N., & Caswell S. V. (2012) Footwear for distance runners: The minimalism trend. International Journal of Athletic Training and Therapy. 17(4) 14-18.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, S. V., & Caswell, A. M. (2012) Relationships of approved clinical instructors’ evaluations of athletic training student clinical performance and grade point average. Athletic Training Education Journal 7(4) 152-56.
- Jones, M. T., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Nindl, B. C., Smith, J., & Headley, S. A. (2012) Effects of unilateral and bilateral lower-body heavy resistance exercise on muscle activity and testosterone responses. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 26(4) 1094-1100.
- Gunning, S., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, A. M., Porter, P. Johnson, T. S., Johnson, D. C. & Caswell, S. V. (2012) Tibial eminence fracture in a youth football player. International Journal of Athletic Training and Therapy. 17(2) 16-20.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Shultz, S. J., Perrin, D. H., Schmitz, R. J., Ackerman, T. A., & Schulz, M. R. (2011) Lower body stiffness and muscle activity differences between female dancers and basketball players during drop jumps. Sports Health, 3(1) 89-96.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Redmond, C., Winter, C., Cortes, N., Ambegaonkar, S. J., Guyer, S., & Thompson, B. (2011) Effects of ankle stabilizers on vertical jump, agility, and dynamic balance performance. Foot and Ankle Specialist. 4(6) 366-372.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Caswell, S. V. (2011) Development and implementation of an in-house healthcare program for university-level performing artists. Work. 40(3) 261-268.
- Krasnow, D., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Stecyk, S., Wilmerding, G., Wyon, M., & Koutedakis, Y. (2011) Development of a dynamometer anchoring system for collection of maximal voluntary isometric contractions in biomechanics research on dancers. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 26(4) 185-194.
- Long, A. S., Ambegaonkar, J. P. & Fahringer, P. M. (2011) Injury reporting rates and injury concealment patterns differ between high-school cirque performers and basketball players. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 26(4) 200-205.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Shultz, S. J., & Perrin, D. H. (2011) A subsequent movement alters lower extremity muscle activity and kinetics in drop jumps versus drop landings. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 25(10) 2781-2788.
- Snyder J. G., Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Winchester, J. B. (2011) Efficacy of cryotherapy in treating delayed onset muscle soreness. International Journal of Athletic Training and Therapy 16(4) 28-32
- Magness, S., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, S. V & Jones, M. (2011) Lower extremity stress fractures in runners: risk factors and preventive interventions. International Journal of Athletic Training and Therapy 16(4) 11-15.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Shultz, S. J. (2010) Changing filtering parameters affects lower extremity pre-landing muscle activation onset times. Isokinetics and Exercise Science, 18(3) 125-132.
- Brazen, D. M., Todd, M. K., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Wunderlich, R., & Peterson, C. (2010) The effect of fatigue on landing biomechanics in single-leg landings. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, 20 286-292.
- Caswell, S. V., Ambegaonkar, J P., & Caswell, A. M. (2010) Examination of personality traits in athletic training students. Athletic Therapy Today 15(6) 37-40.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P. (2009) Future directions in dance medicine and science research (part 2): Athletic training, International Association for Dance Medicine and Science Newsletter, 16(4), 2-4.
- Caswell, S. V., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, A. M., & Gould, T. E. (2009). Antecedents of ethical decision making: intercollegiate sporting environments as clinical education and practice settings. Journal of Allied Health, 38(1) 39-46.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., Shultz, S. J., Perrin, D. H., & Schulz, M. R. (2009) Anterior cruciate ligament injury in collegiate female dancers. Athletic Therapy Today, 14(4) 13-16.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Caswell, S. V. (2009). Dance program administrators’ perceptions of athletic training services. Athletic Therapy Today, 14(3) 17-19.
- Sides, S. N., Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Caswell, S. V. (2009) High incidence of shoulder injuries in collegiate modern dance students. Athletic Therapy Today, 14(4) 43-46.
- Shultz, S. J., Shimokochi, Y., Nguyen, A., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Schmitz, R. J., Beynnon, B. D., et al. (2006). Non-weight bearing anterior knee laxity is related to anterior tibial translation during transition from non-weight bearing to weight bearing. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 24(3) 516-523.
- Ambegaonkar, J. P. (2005). Dance medicine: at the university level. Dance Research Journal, 37(2) 113-119.
Recent Grant Funders and Projects
- National Endowment for the Arts (NEA): Arts Engagement in Older Adults
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) via the Virginia Department of Health (VDH): Virginia Concussion Initiative - Concussion Policy Implementation
- Potomac Health Foundation: ACHIEVES - Athletic Training Healthcare in Schools, POISED - Falls Risk Prevention in Older Adults using Dance-based (Lebed Method) and Multi-modal Exercise (SAIL)
- Novant Hospital Community Foundation: Physical Activity and Enjoyment during dance focused and other Physical Education in Middle Schools
- US Department of State: Sport Diplomacy Program
- Physical Assessment of the Lower Body (ATEP 250)
- Clinical Techniques I: Physical Assessment of the Lower Body (ATEP 255)
- Physical Assessment of the Upper Body (ATEP 260)
- General Medical Conditions and Pharmacology in Physically Active Populations (ATEP 270)
- Functional Anatomy (ATEP 300)
- Advanced Functional Anatomy (ATEP 310)
- Therapeutic Interventions Foundations (ATEP 320)
- Lower Body Physical Assessment (ATEP 340)
- Athletic Training Clinical Techniques 1 (ATEP 345)
- Practicum III: Therapeutic Modalities (ATEP 356)
- Pathopharmacology (ATEP 400)
- Senior Seminar in Athletic Training (ATEP 441)
- Practicum 5 Professional Integration (ATEP 456)
- Athletic Training Research (ATEP 480)
- Independent Study in Athletic Training (ATEP 499)
- Advanced Functional Anatomy (ATEP 510)
- Lower Body Physical Assessment (ATEP 540)
- Athletic Training Clinical Techniques 1 (ATEP 545)
- Pathopharmacology (ATEP 600)
- Athletic Training Research (ATEP 680)
- Independent Study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (EDUC 897)
- Prevention, Recognition, and Management of Fitness Related Injuries (EFHP 526)
- Special Topics (EFHP 598)
- Independent Study EFHP (EFHP 599)
- Research Methods for Applied Kinesiology (EFHP 620)
- Scientific Communications Seminar (EFHP 690)
- Project (EFHP 798)
- Thesis (EFHP 799)
- Careers in the Academy Seminar (EFHP 820)
- Doctoral Seminar in Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion (EFHP 840)
- Critical Perspectives in Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion (EFHP 860)
- Nutrition (HEAL 330)
- Principles of Human Nutrition (KINE 320)
- Independent Study in Kinesiology (KINE 499)