Dr. Julie K. Kidd
Ed.D., Virginia Tech
Early Childhood Education, Advanced Studies in Teaching and Learning
Division Director, Division of Child, Family, and Community Engagement
Academic Program Coordinator, Early Childhood Education
Phone: (703) 993-8325
Fax: (703) 993-4370
Email: jkidd (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Thompson Hall 1202
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030
Dr. Kidd is Professor of Education in the College of Education and Human Development at George Mason University (Mason) and is currently the Child, Family, and Community Engagement Division Director. She recently served as the Early Childhood Education Academic Program Coordinator and teaches in the Early Childhood Education Program. Dr. Kidd holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Elementary Education from the University of Richmond. She began her teaching career as a sixth- and seventh-grade mathematics and English language arts teacher in Page County, Virginia. During that time, she earned a Master of Education in Reading Education at James Madison University. Dr. Kidd completed her Doctor of Education in Curriculum and Instruction with a Literacy emphasis at Virginia Tech. Prior to joining the faculty at Mason, Dr. Kidd was a reading specialist, lead teacher, and elementary classroom teacher for Alexandria City Public Schools in Virginia. She was principal investigator on a Head Start University Partnership research grant and was co-principal investigator on four Institute of Education Sciences research grants.
Dr. Kidd’s research is focused on developing the cognitive, literacy, and numeracy abilities of children from diverse cultural, linguistic, and socio-economic backgrounds as well as on the professional development of preservice and inservice teachers. Current projects focus specifically on
- Developing the cognitive, literacy, and numeracy abilities of children from diverse cultural, linguistic, and socio-economic backgrounds
- The professional development of preservice and inservice teachers who work with children from diverse cultural, linguistic, and socio-economic backgrounds
Sharma, S. A., Kasten, W. C., Smolen, L., Gupta, A., Kidd, J., & Wright, T. S. (in press). Preparing culturally responsive teachers to meet the diverse needs in today’s classroom: Phase one of a national study of literacy teacher educators. The International Journal of Pedagogy and Curriculum.
Pasnak, R., Schmerold, K., Robinson, M. F., Gadzichowski, M., Bock, A. M., O’Brien, S., Kidd, J. K., & Gallington, D. (in press). Understanding number sequences leads to understanding mathematical concepts. The Journal of Educational Research.
Pasnak, R., Kidd, J. K., Gadzichowski, K. M., Gallington, D. A., Schmerold, K. L., & West, H. M. (2015). Abstracting sequences: Reasoning that is a key to academic achievement. Journal of Genetic Psychology: Research and Theory on Human Development, 176(3), 171-193.
Muccio, L. S., Reybold, E., & Kidd, J. K. (2015). Researcher portraitists: An exploration of aesthetics and research quality. Journal of Education and the Arts, 16(1). Retrieved from http://www.ijea.org/v16n1/.
Taboada Barber, A., Buehl, M. B., Kidd, J. K., Sturtevant, E., Richey, L. N., & Beck. J. (2015). Engagement in social studies: Exploring the role of a social studies literacy intervention on reading comprehension, reading self-efficacy, and engagement in middle school students with different language backgrounds. Reading Psychology. doi: 10.1080/02702711.2013.815140
- Pasnak, R., Kidd, J. K., Gadzichowski, K. M., Gallington, D. A., McKnight, P. E., Boyer, C. E., Carlson, A. (2014). Instructing first grade children on patterning improves reading and mathematics. Early Education and Development, 25(1), 134-151. doi: 10.1080/10409289.2013.794448
- Gadzichowski, M., Pasnak, R., & Kidd, J. K. (2013). What’s odd about that? Exploring preschooler’s ability to apply the oddity principle to stimuli differing in color, size, or form. European Journal of Developmental Psychology, 10(6), 739-751. doi: 10.1080/17405629.2013.802648
- Nasser, I., Kidd, J. K., Burns, M. S., & Campbell, T. (2013). Head Start classroom teachers’ and assistant teachers’ perceptions of professional development using a LEARN framework. Professional Development in Education, ahead of print, 1-22. doi: 10.1080/19415257.2013.833538
- Muccio, L. S., Kidd, J. K., White, C. S., & Burns, M. S. (2013). Head Start instructional professionals’ inclusion perceptions and practices. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 20(10), 1-9. doi: 10.1177/0271121413502398
- Kidd, J. K., Carlson, A. G., Gadzichowski, K. M., Boyer, C. E., Gallington, D. A., & Pasnak, R. (2013). Effects of patterning instruction on the academic achievement of first-grade children. Journal of Research in Childhood Education. doi: 10.1080/02568543.2013.766664
- Kidd, J. K., & Burns, M. S. (2013). Promoting writing with reading and learning. In S. Wepner, D. Strickland, & D. Quatroche (Eds.), The administration and supervision of reading programs (5th ed.). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Kidd, J. K., Pasnak, R., Gadzichowski, M. K., Gallington, D. A., McKnight, P. E., Boyer, C. E., & Carlson, A. (in press). An efficacy test of patterning instruction for first grade children.
- Kidd, J. K., & Burns, M. S. (2013). Developing young children’s multifaceted understandings of writing. In N. Nilsson and S. Gandy (Eds.), Struggling readers CAN succeed: Targeted solutions based on complex views of real kids in classrooms and communities (pp. 147-166). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Kidd, J. K., Curby, T. W., Boyer, C. E., Gadzichowski, K. M., Gallington, D. A., Machado, J. A., & Pasnak, R. P. (2012). Benefits of interventions focused on oddity and seriation, literacy, or numeracy. Early Education and Development, 23, 900-918.
- Burns, M. S., Kidd, J. K., Nasser, I., Stechuk, R., & Aier, D. (2012). An interaction, a conversation, often in the context of play: Constructing intentional teaching in early childhood education. NHSA Dialog: A Research to Practice Journal for the Early Childhood Field, 15(3), 1-14.
- Cuenca-Sanchez, Y., Mastropieri, M. A., Scruggs, T. E., & Kidd, J. K. (2012). Teaching students with emotional and behavioral disorders to self-advocate through persuasive writing. Exceptionality: A Special Education Journal, 20(2), 71-93.
- Kidd, J. K. (2011). Unlearning colorblindness and learning from families. In A. M. Lazar & P. Ruggiano Schmidt (Eds.), We can teach and we can learn: Achievement in culturally responsive literacy classrooms (pp. 218-234). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Fox, R., White, C. S., & Kidd, J. K. (2011). Documenting teachers’ growth in reflection-based inquiry. Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice Journal, 17(1), 149-167.
- Burns, M. S., Kidd, J. K., & Genarro, T. (2010). Writing: Underutilized for young children with disabilities? In T. Scruggs & M. Mastropieri (Eds.), Advances in Learning and Behavioral Disabilities, (Vol. 23), Literacy and Learning (pp. 175-204). Bingley, UK: Emerald Group.
- Taboada, A., Kidd, J. K., & Tonks, S. M. (2010). English language learners perceptions of autonomy support in a literacy classroom. Research in the Schools, 17(2), 39-53.
- Burns, M. S., & Kidd, J. K. (2010). Learning to read. In B. McGaw, P. Peterson, & E. Baker (Eds.), International encyclopedia of education (Vol. 5, pp. 394-400). Oxford, UK: Elsevier.
- Pasnak, R., Kidd, J. K., Gadzichowski, M., Gallington, D. A., Saracina, R. P., & Addison, K. T. (2009). Promoting early abstraction to promote early literacy and numeracy. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 30(3), 239-249.
- Pasnak, R., Kidd, J. K., Gadzichowski, M., Gallington, D. A., Saracina, R. P., & Addison, K. T. (2008). Can emphasizing cognitive development improve academic achievement? Educational Research Journal, 50(3), 261-276.
- Kidd, J. K., Pasnak, R., Gadzichowski, M., Ferral-Like, M., & Gallington, D. (2008). Enhancing early numeracy by promoting the abstract thought involved in the oddity principle, seriation, and conservation. Journal of Advanced Academics, 19(2), 164-200.
- Kidd, J. K., Sánchez, S. Y., & Thorp, E. K. (2008). Defining moments: Developing culturally responsive dispositions and teaching practices in early childhood preservice teachers. Teaching and Teacher Education, 24(2), 316-329.
- Fox, R., White, C. S., Kidd, J. K., & Ritchie, G. (2008). Delving into teachers’ development through program portfolios: Case studies. International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 2(1), 1-18. Retrieved from http://www.georgiasouthern.edu/ijsotl/issue_v2n1.htm
- Pasnak, R., Kidd, J. K., Gadzichowski, K., Ferral-Like, M., Gallington, D., & Saracina, R. (2007). Nurturing developmental processes in early abstraction. Journal of Developmental Processes, 2(1), 90-115.
- Groth, L., Dunlap, K. L., & Kidd, J. K. (2007). Becoming technologically literate through technology integration in PK-12 preservice literacy courses: Three case studies. Reading Research and Instruction, 46(4), 363-386.
- Fox, R. K., Kidd, J. K., Painter, D., & Ritchie, G. V. (2007). The growth of reflective practice: Teachers’ portfolios as windows and mirrors. Teacher Educators’ Journal, 13-24.
- Pasnak, R., Kidd, J. K., Gadzichowski, M., Gallington, D. A., Saracina, R. P., & Addison, K. T. (2007). Teaching kindergartners abstractions. International Journal of Learning, 13(11), 1-6.
- Language and Literacy Assessment and Instruction for Diverse Primary Grade Learners (ECED 512)
- Family-Centered Assessment of Diverse Young Learners (ECED 521)
- Developing Language, Literacy, and Communication of Diverse Infants and Toddlers (ECED 522)
- Special Topics in Early Childhood Education (ECED 597)
- Frameworks for Early Childhood Education (ECED 601)
- Early Writing: Cognition, Language, and Literacy (ECED 702)
- Internship in Early Childhood Education Prekindergarten-Third Grade (ECED 788)
- Internship in Early Childhood Special Education Birth - Five (ECED 789)
- Internship with Diverse Preschool Children (ECED 790)
- Internship with Diverse Infants and Toddlers (ECED 791)
- Internship in Preschool Early Childhood Special Education (ECED 793)
- Internship in Kindergarten - Third Grade (ECED 795)
- Cognition, Language, and Literacy for Diverse Young Learners (ECED 802)
- Teacher Preparation and Professional Development (ECED 803)
- Early Writing: Cognition, Language, and Literacy (ECED 812)
- Research Methodologies and Trends in Literacy (EDRD 832)
- Assessment of Diverse Young Learners (EDSE 656)
- Internship in Special Education (EDSE 790)
- Final Portfolio (EDSE 792)
- Internship in Early Childhood Special Education (EDSE 793)
- Human Growth and Development (EDUC 302)
- In-Service Educational Development (EDUC 400)
- Special Topics in Education (EDUC 597)
- Directed Reading, Research, and Individual Projects (EDUC 598)
- Teacher Preparation and Professional Development (EDUC 803)
- Doctoral Internship in Education (EDUC 890)
- Independent Study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (EDUC 897)
- Advanced Internship in Education (EDUC 994)
- Mathematics and Science for Diverse Young Learners (EDUT 615)
- Internship in Early Childhood Education (EDUT 790)
- Internship with Diverse Infants and Toddlers and Their Families (EDUT 791)
- Specialization Internship with Diverse Learners and Their Families (EDUT 793)
- Personnel Preparation and Professional Development in Early Education of Diverse Learners (EDUT 805)
- Early Childhood Cognition, Language, and Literacy for Diverse Young Learners (EDUT 806)