Dr. Jodi M. Duke
EdD, Johns Hopkins University
Academic Program Coordinator, Sp Ed: Autism
Helen A. Kellar Institute for Human disAbilities
Sp Ed: General Curriculum
Sp Ed: Low Incidence Disabilities
Phone: (703) 993-6555
Fax: (703) 993-3678
Email: jduke4 (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Finley Building 205B
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030
Dr. Duke is an Associate Professor in the Division of Special Education and disAbility Research. She is also the Academic Program Coordinator of the Autism Spectrum Disorders Graduate Program.
Dr. Duke received a B.S. in Elementary Education from University of Michigan, a M.S. in Special Education from Johns Hopkins University, and an Ed.D. in Special Education from Johns Hopkins University. Her research focuses on postsecondary transition and college supports for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder and other disabilities.
Dr. Duke's research focuses on postsecondary transition and college supports for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder and other disabilities.
Francis, G. L., Duke, J. M. & Siko, L. (in press). Be Ready, Be Well: A conceptual framework for supporting well-being among college students with disabilities. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability.Francis, G. L., Duke, J. M., Fujita, M., & Sutton, J. C. (2019). “It’s a constant fight:” Experiences of college students with disabilities. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability, 32(3), 247-261.
Francis, G. L., Duke, J. M., Fujita, M., & Sutton, J. C. (2019). “It’s a constant fight:” Experiences of college students with disabilities. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability, 32(3), 247-261. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1236871.pdf
Francis, G. L., Duke, J., Demetro, K., Kliethermes, A. J., & Graff, H. (2018). Apps to support transition to college for students with autism. Teaching Exceptional Children, 51(2). doi: 10.1177/0040059918802768 .
Francis, G. L., Duke, J. M., Brigham, F. J., & Demetro, K. (2018). Student perceptions of college-readiness, college services and supports, and family involvement in college: An exploratory study. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 48, 3573-3585. doi: 10.1007/s10803-018-3622-x
Francis, G. L., Duke, J. M., & Chiu, C. (2017). The college road trip: Supporting college success for students with autism. Division of Autism and Developmental Disabilities Online Journal, 4, 20-35. Retrieved from http://daddcec.org/Portals/0/CEC/Autism_Disabilities/Research/Publications/DOJ_Volume4_2017.pdf
Weiss, M.P, Evmenova, A.S., Kennedy, M.J., & Duke, J.M. (2016). Creating content acquisition podcasts (CAPs) for vocabulary. Journal of Special Education Technology, 31(4), 228-235.
King-Sears, M. E., & Duke, J. M. (2010). Bring your textbook! Using secondary texts to assess reading demands and skills required for students with high-incidence disabilities. Intervention in School and Clinic, 45, 284-293.
Duke, J.M., & Lane, G.M. (2008). A brief report on the systematic instructional guidelines for teaching students with multiple disabilities to respond to choices using photographs. The SLD Experience, 52, 34-43.
- Language Development and Reading (EDSE 403)
- Introduction to Special Education (EDSE 501)
- Classroom Management and Applied Behavior Analysis (EDSE 502)
- Language Development and Reading (EDSE 503)
- Characteristics of Students with Disabilities who Access the General Curriculum (EDSE 540)
- Adapted Instructional Methods and Transition for Secondary Learners (EDSE 544)
- Special Education Research (EDSE 590)
- Supporting the Behavior and Sensory Needs of Individuals with Autism (EDSE 620)
- Assessment (EDSE 627)
- Secondary Curriculum and Strategies for Students with Disabilities who Access the General Curriculum (EDSE 629)
- Characteristics of Individuals with Autism (EDSE 634)
- Interventions for Individuals with Autism (EDSE 635)
- Autism Across the Lifespan: Collaboration with Critical Partners (EDSE 637)
- Curriculum and Methods: Severe Disabilities (EDSE 661)
- Internship in Special Education (EDSE 790)
- Midpoint Portfolio (EDSE 791)
- Final Portfolio (EDSE 792)
- Independent Study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (EDUC 897)
- Advanced Internship in Education (EDUC 994)