Phone: (703) 993-2067
Fax: (703) 993-2722
Email: bbannan (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Thompson Hall L043
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030
Brenda Bannan is an Associate Professor in the Instructional Technology and Learning Technologies Design Research program at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, USA. Her research interests primarily center on the articulation of integrated design and research processes in learning technology design and development. She is the author of numerous articles and book chapters on the emerging method of design research in education related to areas such as mobile learning, augmented reality, inquiry-based instruction, language learning and cognition, motivation and special education. Dr. Bannan’s honors include designations such as a National Science Foundation CAREER grant awardee, an invited member of the international research panel on design research at Bejiing Normal University and East China Normal University in Shanghai and an appointed visiting scholar at Stanford University’s d.School. Her research specifically focuses on the application of instructional design and user experience (UX) design processes integrating learning theory, systematic design processes and emerging technologies to improve education, training and performance contexts. Currently funded by the National Science Foundation in the Smart & Connected Communities award program, Dr. Bannan leads a team developing a smart city solution for emergency response and medical team training integrating mobile sensor-based technologies, activity stream data and learning analytics. She also currently leads an action cluster team in the National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST) Global City Teams Challenge entitled “SMART Emergency Medical and First Response Multiteam Systems.” This project garnered first place in Wearable Technology for Learning Design at the European Commission Technology Enhanced Learning Conference (EC-TEL). Her work has been published in the recent Internet of Things and Data Analytics Handbook published by Wiley and Sons and she has co-authored papers in multiple national and international academic journals. Dr. Bannan has also been invited a keynote speaker and panelist for numerous International and National organizations including most recently the National Science Foundation (NSF), The U.S. Networking and Information Technology Research and Development Program (NITRD), the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and the National League of Cities (NLC).
Internet of Things (IoT)/ Cyber-physical Systems
Wearable Technologies for Learning
Live Simulation Training
Mobile and Augmented Reality learning environments
Human-Centered Design Processes/User Experience Design/Instructional Systems Design
Bannan, B., Gallagher, P. & Lewis, B. (2017). A Case Study for Next Generation Learning – Smart Medical Team Training. In H. Geng (Ed.) Internet of Things/Cyber-Physical Systems Handbook. John Wiley and Sons.
Bannan, B., (2015). Analyzing context for mobile augmented reality prototypes in education: promoting design research with graduate students. In J. Traxler and A. Kukulska-Hulme (Eds.) Mobile Learning: The Next Generation. London: Routledge
Bannan, B., Cook, J. & Pachler, N. (2015). Reconceptualizing design research in the age of mobile learning. Interactive Learning Environments.
Martínez-Álvarez, P. & Bannan, B. (2013). An exploration of hybrid spaces for place-based geomorphology with latino bilingual children. Journal of Geoscience Education
Martínez-Álvarez, P., Bannan, B. and Peters-Burton, E.E. (2013). Effects of strategy instruction on fourth grade dual language learners’ ability to monitor their comprehension of scientific texts. Bilingual Research Journal 35(3), 331-349.
Bannan, B. (2013). GO Inquire – Geological Observational Inquiry: Cycles of Design research in inquiry-based geological reasoning. In T. Plomp & N. Nieveen (Eds.), Educational Design Research: Introduction and Illustrative Cases. Enschede, Netherlands; SLO Netherlands Institute for Curriculum Development, 2nd Edition.
Evmenova, A. & Bannan, B. (2013). ACTIV - Adapted Captioning through Interactive Video: Cycles of Design Research. In T. Plomp & N. Nieveen (Eds.), Educational Design Research: Introduction and Illustrative Cases. Enschede, Netherlands; SLO Netherlands Institute for Curriculum Development, 2nd Edition
Martínez-Álvarez, P., & Bannan, B. (2013). Blending practices: DBR and CALL to enrich emergent bilingual learners’ concept and language development. Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO), Volume 11 pp. 127-156
Bannan, B. (2012). Design research and twice exceptional children: Toward an integration of motivation, emotion and cognition factors for a technology-based intervention. In Dai, D.Y. (Ed.), Design Research on Learning and Thinking in Education Settings: Enhancing Intellectual Growth and Functioning. Mahwah, N.J.; Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Martinez, P., Bannan, B. & Kisantas, A. (2012). Bilingual students ideas and conceptual change about slow geomorphological changes caused by water. Journal of Geoscience Education 60, 54-66..
Bannan, B. (May, 2014). Integrating Lean UX and User Research in a Learning Technologies Graduate Program. Presentation at the 2014 MoDev UX conference, McLean, VA
Bannan, B. (December, 2013). Educating the next generation of UX designers for learning technologies. MoDev East 2013, McLean, VA.
Bannan, B. & Cook, J. (September, 2013). Putting the design back in design-based research: Problem seeking and scaling insights from mobile learning. University of Georgia Design-based Research Conference. Athens, GA.
Saville, J., & Bannan, B. (March, 2013). Development of an augmented reality experience through design research. New Learning Technologies SALT Conference. Orlando, FL.
- Reiser, B., Hannafin, M., Klein, J. and Bannan, B. (November, 2012). AECT Presidential Session Publish, don’t perish: Tips for writing research manuscripts. Presentation at the Annual Association for Educational Communications and Technology Conference, Louisville, KY
- Zgheib, G., Bannan, B., Bella, C., Mujeebu, F. and Levy, P. (June, 2012). Augmented reality mobile application game to teach middle schoolers history. Presentation at the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Kelly, A.E., Baek, J. & Bannan, B. (April, 2012). New approaches to validity judgments for emergent research methods. Presentation at the Annual Conference of the American Educational Research Association, Vancouver, Canada (Presented by Dr. Kelly).
- Bannan, B. (April, 2011). Pedagogically-oriented mobile learning research The case of design research: A framework and examples. Presentation presented at the Annual Conference of the American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, LA.
- Bannan, B. (September, 2010). Design research: A framework and examples. BYU annual scholar speaker series invited session, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT.
- Bannan, B., & Kelly, A. E. (May, 2010). Cyberinfrastructure and Cyber-enabled Learning: What does it mean for education? The annual meeting of the American Association for Educational Research, Denver, CO.
- Bannan, B., Peters, E., Martinez, P. and Blanchard, J. (March, 2010). Using mobile technologies in science with smart kids who learn differently. Diamonds in the Rough Smart Kids Who Learn Differently: The National Conference for Educators, Parents, Students and all who appreciate the unique strengths and needs of bright kids who learn differently. University of Maryland, Rockville, MD
- Bannan, B., Peters, E. and Martinez, P. (October, 2009). GO Inquire: Exploring Mobile learning and geological observational inquiry with elementary students. mLearn: The 8th World Conference on Mobile and Contextual Learning, Orlando, FL.
- Bannan, B. & Kelly, A.E. (May, 2009). Modeling cyber-enabled learning and teaching: Addressing methodological and measurement issues. Facilitation of second panel meeting, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA.
- Baek, J., Akker, J., Bannan, B., Carmona, G., Hjalmarson, M., Lesh, R.A., Kelly, A.E., Lobato, J., Nieveen, N., & Sloane, F. (April, 2009). Design Research Methods in Education, presented at the Annual Conference of the American Educational Research Association, San Diego, CA.
- Kelly, A.E. & Bannan, B. (December, 2008). Cyberinfrastructure and Cyber-enabled Learning. Facilitation of first panel meeting, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA.
- Bannan-Ritland, B. (October, 2008). AECT Early Career Symposium. Panel presenter at Annual Conference of the Association for Educational Communications and Technology, Orlando, FL.
- Martinez, P., Bannan-Ritland, B. & Baek, J. (April, 2008). Upper elementary childrens misconceptions in relation to slow changes caused by water. Presentation at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Resarch Association, New Orleans, LA.
- Bannan-Ritland, B. (Feb, 2008). Design Research and SCORM: From learning object reusability to the reuse of knowledge. Keynote address at the ID + SCORM Symposium, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT.
- Bannan, B. (January, 2010). Trends in Technology and Education. Invited Keynote Address Peruvian Ministry of Education, Congreso Nacional design research Educadores at the Universidad UPC in Lima -Peru.
- Bannan, B., Peters, E., Martinez, P., Raime, A., Baek, J. and Stafford, K. (January, 2010). Conducting Design Research in the Classroom. Conference Presentation at the Congressio Nacional de Ecuadores, Universidad UPC, Lima, Peru.
- Martinez, P., Peters, E., Bannan, B., Raime, A., Baek, J. and Stafford, K. (January, 2010). Teacher Workshop: GO Inquire. Presentation at the Congressio Nacional de Ecuadores, Universidad UPC, Lima, Peru.
- Martinez, P., Peters, E., Bannan, B. and Raime, A. (January, 2010). GO Inquire. Presentation at the Cegecoop La Union School, Lima, Peru.
- Martinez, P., Peters, E., Bannan, B. and Raime, A. (January, 2010). GO Inquire. Presentation at the Peruano Norteamericano Abraham Lincoln School, Lima, Peru.
- Bannan, B. (January, 2010). Educational Technology: Design Thinking. Presentation at the Cegecoop La Union School, Lima, Peru.
- Bannan, B. (January, 2010). Educational Technology: Design Thinking. Presentation at the Peruano Norteamericano Abraham Lincoln School, Lima, Peru.
- Bannan, B. (December, 2009). Challenges for integrative design and research in mobile learning. Presentation at the Alpine Rendez-Vous, STELLAR Network of Excellence by the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitat Munich and London Mobile Learning Group. Garmisch-Partenkirchen,Germany.
- Bannan-Ritland, B. (November, 2007) International Seminar on Design Research. Panel Presentation at the East China Normal University in Shanghai, China.
- Bannan-Ritland, B. (November, 2007) Design Research and Instructional Technology. Presentation at the Beijing Normal University in Beijing, China.
- Kelly, A.E. and Bannan-Ritland, B. (2008). Modeling Cyber-Enabled Learning and Teaching: Addressing Methodological and Measurement Issues. ($199,000 over 2 years) Submitted in Jan, 2008. Served as co-principal investigator.
- Bannan-Ritland, B. (2007). Career Award International Research Supplement. National Science Foundation. ($30,000 over 1 year) Submitted in June, 2007. Served as principal investigator.
- Bannan-Ritland, B. (2004). Career Award Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)-Justification for Supplement. National Science Foundation. ($12,000 over 1 year) Submitted in June, 2004. Serve as principal investigator.
- Bannan-Ritland, B (2003) Comprehension Strategy Support in Inquiry-based Science. National Science Foundation CAREER program. ($617,181 over 5 years). Submitted in July, 2002. Serve as principal investigator.
- Instructional Technology (primary)
- Mathematics and Science Education Leadership (secondary)
- Helen A. Kellar Institute for Human disabilities
- Association of Educational Communications and Technology
- American Society for Training and Development
- International Visual Literacy Association
- American Educational Research Association
- NIST Global City Teams Challenge
- Graduate School of Education
- Division of Learning Technologies
- Instructional Design and Technology
- Learning Technologies Design Research
- Mathematics Education Leadership
- Helen A. Kellar Institute for Human disAbilities
- Center for Restructuring Education in Science and Technology
- Mathematics Education Center
Courses Taught This Semester
Other Courses Taught
- e-Learning Design Applications (EDIT 575)
- Instructional Design and Technology (IDT) Portfolio (EDIT 601)
- Advanced Instructional Design and Technology (IDT) Portfolio (EDIT 701)
- Advanced Instructional Design (EDIT 730)
- Analysis and Design of Technology-Based Learning Environments (EDIT 732)
- Design and Implementation of Technology-based Learning Environments (EDIT 752)
- Project Development Practicum I (EDIT 791)
- Project Development Practicum II (EDIT 792)
- Advanced Topics in Education (EDIT 797)
- Nature and Process of Design (EDIT 801)
- Design-Based Research (EDIT 803)
- Design Research Independent Study (EDIT 891)
- Independent Study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (EDUC 897)
- Doctoral Dissertation Proposal (EDUC 998)