Phone: (703) 993-2067
Fax: (703) 993-2722
Email: bbannan (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Thompson Hall L043
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030
Brenda Bannan is an Associate Professor in the Instructional Technology and Learning Technologies Design Research program at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, USA. Her research interests primarily center on the articulation of integrated design and research processes in learning technology design and development. She is the author of numerous articles and book chapters on the emerging method of design research in education related to areas such as mobile learning, augmented reality, inquiry-based instruction, language learning and cognition, motivation and special education. Dr. Bannan’s honors include designations such as a National Science Foundation CAREER grant awardee, an invited member of the international research panel on design research at Bejiing Normal University and East China Normal University in Shanghai and an appointed visiting scholar at Stanford University’s d.School. Her research specifically focuses on the application of instructional design and user experience (UX) design processes integrating learning theory, systematic design processes and emerging technologies to improve education, training and performance contexts. Currently funded by the National Science Foundation in the Smart & Connected Communities award program, Dr. Bannan leads a team developing a smart city solution for emergency response and medical team training integrating mobile sensor-based technologies, activity stream data and learning analytics. She also currently leads an action cluster team in the National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST) Global City Teams Challenge entitled “SMART Emergency Medical and First Response Multiteam Systems.” This project garnered first place in Wearable Technology for Learning Design at the European Commission Technology Enhanced Learning Conference (EC-TEL). Her work has been published in the recent Internet of Things and Data Analytics Handbook published by Wiley and Sons and she has co-authored papers in multiple national and international academic journals. Dr. Bannan has also been invited a keynote speaker and panelist for numerous International and National organizations including most recently the National Science Foundation (NSF), The U.S. Networking and Information Technology Research and Development Program (NITRD), the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and the National League of Cities (NLC).
Internet of Things (IoT)/ Cyber-physical Systems
Wearable Technologies for Learning
Live Simulation Training
Mobile and Augmented Reality learning environments
Human-Centered Design Processes/User Experience Design/Instructional Systems Design
Bannan, B., Dubrow, S., Dobbins, C., Zaccaro, S., Purohit, H., & Rana, M. (in press). Toward wearable devices for multiteam systems learning. In I. Buchem, R, Klamma & F. Wild (Eds.), Perspectives on Wearable Enhanced Learning: Current Trends, Research and Practice. New York: Springer.
Bannan, B. & Burbridge, J. (in press). UX design in smart City Learning Solutions. In I. Buchem, R, Klamma & F. Wild (Eds.), Perspectives on Wearable Enhanced Learning: Current Trends, Research and Practice. New York: Springer.
Bannan, B., (2017). Toward understanding the nature of design. In A. Carr-Chellman & G. Rowland (Eds.) Issues in technology, learning and instructional design. NY: Routledge.
Bannan, B., Gallagher, P. & Lewis, B. (2017). A Case Study for Next Generation Learning – Smart Medical Team Training. In H. Geng (Ed.) Internet of Things/Cyber-Physical Systems Handbook. John Wiley and Sons.
Bannan, B., (2015). Analyzing context for mobile augmented reality prototypes in education: promoting design research with graduate students. In J. Traxler and A. Kukulska-Hulme (Eds.) Mobile Learning: The Next Generation. London: Routledge
Bannan, B., Cook, J. & Pachler, N. (2015). Reconceptualizing design research in the age of mobile learning. Interactive Learning Environments.
Martínez-Álvarez, P. & Bannan, B. (2013). An exploration of hybrid spaces for place-based geomorphology with latino bilingual children. Journal of Geoscience Education
Dubrow, S., & Bannan, B. (2019). Toward improving situation awareness and team coordination in emergency response with sensor-based and video data streams. To be presented at the 5th annual HCI International Conference on Learning and Collaboration Technology.
Purohit, H., Dubrow, S., & Bannan, B. (2019). Designing a multimodal analytics system to improve emergency service training. To be presented at the 5th annual HCI International Conference on Learning and Collaboration Technology.
Dubrow, S., Shulman, M., Torres, E., Dobbins, C., Zacarro, S. & Bannan, B. (April, 2018). Leader roles and shifts in crisis management multiteam systems. Paper presented at the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Chicago, IL.
Dubrow, S., Dobbins, C., Bannan, B., Zaccaro, S., Peixoto, N., Purohit, H., Rana, M., & Au, M. (2017). Using IoT Sensors to Enhance Simulation and Training in Multiteam Systems. In: the interservice/industry training, simulation and education conference (I/ITSEC) Published Proceedings, pp. 1-10.
Bannan, B., Gallagher, S.P., Lewis, B. & Battista, A. (April, 2016) Exploring internet of things and analytics in team-based simulations. Paper presented at the Annual American Educational Research Association (AERA), Washington DC.
Bannan, B. (accepted for March, 2019). U.S. Department of Homeland Security Science & Technology Cybersecurity and Innovation Workshop. Smart Emergency Medical and First Response Multiteam Systems. Washington, DC.
Bannan, B., Dubrow, S. & Jenkins, J. (October, 2018). NIST Global City Teams Challenge Smart and Secure City and Communities Challenge (SC3). Public Safety Super Cluster - A whole community approach: breakout session. Gaithersburg, MD.
Bannan, B. (July, 2018). Live sims for first responder training. Presentation at the Serious Play Conference – Serious Games Institute Manassas, VA.
Bannan, B. (March, 2018). The connected future and data analytics..Invited Keynote Address – The Maryland Distance Learning Association. Linthicum, MD.
Bannan, B. (March, 2018). User Experience Design and Distributed Complex Learning Environments. The Maryland Distance Learning Association. Linthicum, MD.
Bannan, B. (November, 2017). Community-University-Industry collaboration models for smart and connected communities: Leveraging a user experience (UX)/Design research approach. The National Science Foundation Smart and Connected Communities Workshop, Alexandria, VA.
Bannan, B. (September, 2017). Design research in smart connected communities for all: Opportunities for STEM learning and inclusion. The National Science Foundation ECR PI Meeting. Alexandria, VA.
Bannan, B. (August, 2017). Smart emergency medical and first response multiteam systems. The National Institute of Standards and Technology Global City Teams Challenge Expo. Washington, DC.
Bannan, B. (July, 2017). Developing a Multiteam Systems Smart City Solution through Human-centered, Participatory Design Research. American Association for the Advancement of Science. Washington, DC.
Bannan, B. (May, 2017). The importance of broadband in building smart communities. The National League of Cities Infrastructure Week 2017. Washington D.C.
Bannan, B., Peixoto, N., Baldwin, C., Purohit, H., Zaccaro, S., Dubrow, S., Nik, H.G., Rajagopal, A.A.(April, 2017). Engineering multiteam systems training for smart medical and emergency response. George Mason University Healthcare Symposium. Fairfax, VA.
Dubrow, S., Battista, A., Sanko, J. Bannan, B. & Peixoto, N. (April, 2017). Communication in interprofessional multiteam systems during patient handoff: A case study. George Mason University Healthcare Symposium. Fairfax, VA.
Battista, A., Dunbrow, S., Sanko, J. & Bannan, B. (January, 2017). Interprofessional healthcare team coordination and communication. Presentation at the IMSH: Society for Simulation in Healthcare. Orlando, FL.
- Bannan, B. (September, 2016) Ecosystem for Smart Medical Team Training. Invited Presentation Wearable Enhanced Learning Workshop. Presentation at the European Conference for Technology Enhanced Learning (EC-TEL) Lyon, France.
- Bannan, B. (September, 2015). Internet of Things (IoT) and Learning Analytics: The Case of Emergency Response/Medical Services Training Simulation. Presentation at the European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning (EC-TEL), Toledo, Spain (First Place, Design Challenge: Envisioning Wearable Enhanced Learning).
- Bannan, B. (June, 2014). Design research. Presentation at the International Forum on Educational and Technology: New Learning Scenarios from a Transformative Vision,. Applied Research Group in Education and Technology (ARGET) Department de Pedagogia Universitat Rovira, Tarragona, Spain.
- Bannan, B. & Cela-Ranilla, J. (June, 2014). Design of Learning: Design research. Presentation at the International Forum of Educational Technology, Applied Research Group in Education and Technology (ARGET) Department de Pedagogia Universitat Rovira, Tarragona, Spain.
- Cook, J., Bannan, B. & Santos, P. (September, 2013). Seeking and scaling model for designing technology that supports personal and professional learning networks. Presentation at the EC-TEL meets ECSCW 2013; Workshop on Collaborative Technologies for Working and Learning. Cyprus, Greece.
- Bannan, B. (February, 2013). Toward Investigating Ubiquitous, Pervasive and Seamless Computing and Learning. Presentation at the Alpine Rendez-Vous, STELLAR Network of Excellence on Technology Enhanced Learning, Villard-de-Lans, Vercors, France.
- Bannan, B. (January, 2010). Trends in Technology and Education. Invited Keynote Address Peruvian Ministry of Education, Congreso Nacional design research Educadores at the Universidad UPC in Lima -Peru.
- Bannan, B., Peters, E., Martinez, P., Raime, A., Baek, J. and Stafford, K. (January, 2010). Conducting Design Research in the Classroom. Conference Presentation at the Congressio Nacional de Ecuadores, Universidad UPC, Lima, Peru.
- Martinez, P., Peters, E., Bannan, B., Raime, A., Baek, J. and Stafford, K. (January, 2010). Teacher Workshop: GO Inquire. Presentation at the Congressio Nacional de Ecuadores, Universidad UPC, Lima, Peru.
- Martinez, P., Peters, E., Bannan, B. and Raime, A. (January, 2010). GO Inquire. Presentation at the Cegecoop La Union School, Lima, Peru.
- Martinez, P., Peters, E., Bannan, B. and Raime, A. (January, 2010). GO Inquire. Presentation at the Peruano Norteamericano Abraham Lincoln School, Lima, Peru.
- Bannan, B. (January, 2010). Educational Technology: Design Thinking. Presentation at the Cegecoop La Union School, Lima, Peru.
- Bannan, B. (January, 2010). Educational Technology: Design Thinking. Presentation at the Peruano Norteamericano Abraham Lincoln School, Lima, Peru.
- Bannan, B. (December, 2009). Challenges for integrative design and research in mobile learning. Presentation at the Alpine Rendez-Vous, STELLAR Network of Excellence by the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitat Munich and London Mobile Learning Group. Garmisch-Partenkirchen,Germany.
- Bannan-Ritland, B. (November, 2007) International Seminar on Design Research. Panel Presentation at the East China Normal University in Shanghai, China.
- Bannan-Ritland, B. (November, 2007) Design Research and Instructional Technology. Presentation at the Beijing Normal University in Beijing, China.
- Bannan, B. (2018). Smart city learning solutions – advancing research and development ($10,000). College of Education and Human Development SEED Grant Research Funding. Submitted in November, 2017. Serve as principal investigator.
- Bannan, B. & Peixoto, N. (2016). Engineering networked devices for multiteam learning and performance ($199,962). NSF EAGER. Submitted in March, 2016. Serve as co-principal investigator.
- Bannan, B., Peixoto, N. & Baldwin, C. (2015). Engineering Networked Tracking Devices for Smart Medical and Emergency Response Training. Multidisciplinary Research Grant program Office of the Provost ($50,000), George Mason University. Funded in Summer, 2015.
- Kelly, A.E. & Bannan-Ritland, B. (2008). Modeling Cyber-Enabled Learning and Teaching: Addressing Methodological and Measurement Issues. ($199,000 over 2 years) Submitted in Jan, 2008. Served as co-principal investigator.
- Bannan-Ritland, B. (2007). Career Award International Research Supplement. National Science Foundation. ($30,000 over 1 year) Submitted in June, 2007. Served as principal investigator.
- Bannan-Ritland, B. (2004). Career Award Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)-Justification for Supplement. National Science Foundation. ($12,000 over 1 year) Submitted in June, 2004. Serve as principal investigator.
- Bannan-Ritland, B (2003) Comprehension Strategy Support in Inquiry-based Science. National Science Foundation CAREER program. ($617,181 over 5 years). Submitted in July, 2002. Serve as principal investigator.
- Instructional Technology (primary)
- Mathematics and Science Education Leadership (secondary)
- Helen A. Kellar Institute for Human disabilities
- Association of Educational Communications and Technology
- American Society for Training and Development
- International Visual Literacy Association
- American Educational Research Association
- NIST Global City Teams Challenge
Courses Taught This Semester
Other Courses Taught
- e-Learning Design Applications (EDIT 575)
- Instructional Design and Technology (IDT) Portfolio (EDIT 601)
- Advanced Instructional Design and Technology (IDT) Portfolio (EDIT 701)
- Advanced Instructional Design (EDIT 730)
- Analysis and Design of Technology-Based Learning Environments (EDIT 732)
- Design and Implementation of Technology-based Learning Environments (EDIT 752)
- Project Development Practicum I (EDIT 791)
- Project Development Practicum II (EDIT 792)
- Advanced Topics in Education (EDIT 797)
- Nature and Process of Design (EDIT 801)
- Design-Based Research (EDIT 803)
- Design Research Independent Study (EDIT 891)
- Doctoral Dissertation Proposal (EDUC 998)
- Doctoral Dissertation Research (EDUC 999)