Phone: (703) 993-2567
Fax: (703) 993-2063
Email: ggalluzz (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
West Building 2202
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030
Gary R. Galluzzo (Ph.D., Syracuse University) is a Professor in the College of Education and Human Development, as well as the Director of the Ph.D. in Education program.
Dr. Galluzzo served as Dean of Masons then-Graduate School of Education and as the Executive Vice-President of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. He has been at George Mason University since 1997.
Dr. Galluzzo came to Mason from the University of Northern Colorado, where he was Professor and Dean of the College of Education. He also served as the director of the Laboratory School at the University of Northern Colorado. He has been on the faculty at Western Kentucky University and Rowan University (NJ). He began his career as a high school History-Social Studies teacher in upstate New York.
He served as a member of the Board of Directors of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards from 1994 through 2000, and on the Board of Directors of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE) from 1995-1998. He also served as the Co-Chair of the Colorado Teachers and Special Services Professional Standards Board from 1992-1997.
His research interests include investigations into how students become teachers, curriculum reform in teacher education, program evaluation in teacher education, education reform, and preparing teachers to be the agents of school change. He was a member of the AACTE Research and Information Committee which conducted eight annual national studies of teacher education and published the monograph series, Teaching Teachers: Facts and Figures known as the Research About Teacher Education (RATE) Project. He is co-author of The Rise and Stall of Teacher Education Reform, and The Masters Degree in Education as Professional Development. He is published in professional journals and has chapters in the Handbook of Research on Teacher Education, the International Encyclopedia of Education, and the Advances in Teacher Education series, among others.
At the 2014 AACTE annual meeting, he was awarded the David G. Imig Award for Distinguished Achievement in Teacher Education.
- Teacher Education
- School Reform
- Fullan, M., Galluzzo, G., Morris, P., & Watson, N. (1997). The Rise and Stall of Teacher Education Reform. Washington, DC: AACTE.
- Where Should We Educate Teachers? in A. Cole, R.A. Elijah, and G.A. Knowles (Eds.), The Heart of the Matter. Caddo Gap Press, 1998.
- Will the Best and the Brightest Teach?, Education Week, May 5, 1999.
- Whos Leading Education Reform? Virginia Journal of Education. June, 2003.
- Moving to the Margins. Educational Horizons. Summer, 2004
- Performance Assessment and Renewing Teacher Education.Â The Clearinghouse. March/April, 2005
- Lukacs, K.S., Horak, A.K. & Galluzzo, G.R. (2010). Does teaching how to make a difference make a difference? A pre/post study of an "Educational Change" course. Focus on Teacher Education, 10(3), 7-11.
- For Federal Reform Dollars, Why Not Think-and Act-Locally? Education Week, March 2, 2011
- Eight Ways to Make School Reform Work. American School Boards Journal. June, 2011
- Galluzzo, G.R., Isenberg, J.P., White, C.S., Fox, R.K, (2012). The Masters Degree in Education as Professional Development. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Cheema, J. R,. & Galluzzo, G. R. (2013, November). Analyzing the gender gap in Math achievement: Evidence from a large-scale US sample. Research in Education, 90, 98-112. http://dx.doi.org/10.7227/RIE.90.1.7
- Lukacs, K. S., & Galluzzo, G. R. (2014). Beyond empty vessels and bridges: Toward defining teachers as the agents of school change. Teacher Development, 18(1), 100-109. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13664530.2013.856338
Other Courses Taught
- Advanced Topics in Education (EDRS 797)
- Evaluation Methods for Educational Programs and Curricula (EDRS 820)
- Educational Change (EDUC 615)
- Ways of Knowing (EDUC 800)
- Leadership Seminar (EDUC 802)
- The Study of Teaching (EDUC 850)
- Research on Teacher Education (EDUC 851)
- The Achievement Gap (EDUC 874)
- Doctoral Internship in Education (EDUC 890)
- Independent Study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (EDUC 897)
- Advanced Internship in Education (EDUC 994)
- Doctoral Dissertation Proposal (EDUC 998)
- Doctoral Dissertation Research (EDUC 999)