Hoffner Barthold, Christine
Dr. Christine Barthold
PhD, University of Maryland, College Park
Academic Program Coordinator, Sp Ed: Applied Behavior Analysis
Helen A. Kellar Institute for Human disAbilities
Christine Barthold is a Board Certified Behavior Analyst-Doctoral (BCBA-D™) who has a passion for helping people to be their best selves. She has been working with individuals with developmental disabilities of all ages for over 25 years, and received her BCBA in 2007. In addition, Dr. Barthold has worked with organizational behavior change, supervision and management. For the past 7 years, Dr. Barthold has been a faculty member at George Mason University, coordinating teaching courses in the Applied Behavior Analysis program. She believes that a good academic should also practice and stay current in the field. She calls it being “on the ground floor of the Ivory Tower.”
Dr. Barthold's research and clinical interests include the use of Acceptance and Committment Training (ACT) to enhance current Applied Behavior Analysis assessments and programs, the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Behavior Analysis, and preventing burnout and compassion fatigue among academics and ABA professionals.
In addition to being a BCBA-D, Dr. Barthold holds certifications as a Personal Trainer and Health Coach from the American Council on Exercise, Compassion Fatigue Professional and Certified Clinical Trauma Professional certifications.
- Compassion Fatigue and Burnout Among Faculty and Applied Behavior Analysis Providers
- Applications of ABA to Health and Fitness
- Acceptance and Committment Training
- Egel, A.L., Holman, K.C., & Barthold, C.H. (Eds.) (2012). School Success for Kids with Autism. Waco, TX: Prufrock Press.
Manuscripts in Preparation
- Barthold, C.H. Instructor presence during online synchronous small group discussions: Effects on engagement during interteaching.
Manuscripts in Press
- Barthold, C.H. (in press). Interteaching: State of the evidence and future directions. Journal of Excellence in College Teaching.
Contributions to Peer-Reviewed Anthologies
- Barthold, C.H., & Duke, J.D. (2017). Environmental engineering and modifications. (revision to 2013 article) In F. Volkmar (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Autism Spectrum Disorders. Springer.
- Stein, S., Strohmeier, C., & Barthold, C. (2016). Working with children and working with schools. In I.L. Rubin, J. Merrick, D.E. Greydanus & D.R. Patel (Eds.) Health Care for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities across the Lifespan (3rd Ed.). Springer.
- Barthold, C.H. (2013). Environmental engineering and modifications. In F. Volkmar (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Autism Spectrum Disorders. Springer.
- Barthold, C., & McNutt, J.G., (2010). The digital divide and the virtual therapeutic system. In Ferro, E., Dwivedi, Y., Gil-Garcia, J.R., & Williams, M.R. (Eds.), Overcoming Digital Divides: Constructing an Equitable and Competitive Information Society. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Chezan, L.C., Layden, S.J., Barnhill, G. & Barthold, C.H. (2017). The Virginia Applied Behavior Analysis Consortium: Preparing behavior analysts using a collaborative model. Behavior Analysis in Practice.
- Hoffner-Barthold, C., & Egel, A.L. (2001). Stimulus Overselectivity and generative language instruction for students with autism: An issue that needs to be revisited. The Behavior Analyst Today, 2, 33-39.
- Lalli, J.S., Vollmer, T.R., Progar, P.R., Wright, C., Borrero, J., Daniel, D., Barthold, C.H., Tocco, K., &May, W. (1999). Competition between positive and negative reinforcement in the treatment of problem behavior. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 32, 285-296.
- Egel, A.L., Barthold, C.H., Lee, J., & Majeeny, F. (2018) Single subject design and analysis. In G. Hancock, L. Stapleton, and R. Mueller (Eds.) Quantitative Methods in the Social and Behavioral Sciences: A Guide for Researchers and Reviewers (2nd Ed). New York: Routledge.
- Barthold, C.H. (2012). General instructional strategies. In A.L. Egel, K.C. Holman, and C.H. Barthold (Eds.), School Success for Kids with Autism. Waco, TX: Prufrock Press.
- Egel, A.L., &; Barthold, C.H. (2010). Single-subject research design. In G. Hancock and R. Mueller (Eds.) Quantitative Methods in the Social and Behavioral Sciences: A Guide for Researchers and Reviewers. New York: Routledge.
- Classroom Management and Applied Behavior Analysis (EDSE 402)
- Introduction to Applied Behavior Analysis (EDSE 460)
- Applying Behavior Analysis in School and Community Settings (EDSE 462)
- Classroom Management and Applied Behavior Analysis (EDSE 502)
- Special Topics in Education (EDSE 597)
- Principles and Procedures of Behavior Analysis (EDSE 619)
- Applied Behavior Analysis: Empirical Bases (EDSE 621)
- Applied Behavior Analysis: Assessments and Interventions (EDSE 623)
- Applied Behavior Analysis: Applications (EDSE 624)
- Ethical and Professional Conduct for Behavior Analysis (EDSE 664)
- Independent Study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (EDUC 897)