Tuition Discount for Virginia Educators
The College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) at George Mason University is delighted to offer a tuition discount to Virginia educators.
The discount is 15% off the university’s approved rate for in-state graduate students (go to http://studentaccounts.gmu.edu/tuition-fees/ for current rate information). The discount is available to Virginia educators who meet the requirements outlined below. Exclusion applies to courses that are already discounted, and the fully online programs offered in 8-week modules. (Note: If you are taking courses as part of a contract cohort, information about tuition discounts will be provided by your cohort coordinator)
To receive the discount, you'll need to submit a short online form called "Tuition Discount for Virginia Educators."
For the Summer 2023 semester, the form is due by May 30th. We don't want you to miss out on the opportunity to save money on your education — be sure to submit the application form by the deadline!
Deadline to apply for the tuition discount
The Summer 2023 tuition discount application must be received by May 30, 2023 to be applied toward summer courses. The discount will not be applied until you have registered for courses for the Summer 2023 semester. If you have any questions regarding the Tuition Discount for Virginia Educators, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We strongly encourage you to submit your application well before the application deadline because it will make receiving your discount quicker and easier.
|Summer 2023||March 23 - May 30||We strongly encourage you to fill out the application form before May 23rd. This will make receiving your discount quicker and easier. See the Frequently Asked Question below on why to submit your application early.
|Fall 2023||July 8 - August 28||We strongly encourage you to fill out the application form before August 21st. This will make receiving your discount quicker and easier. See the Frequently Asked Question below on why to submit your application early.
|Spring 2024||November 17 - January 31||We strongly encourage you to fill out the application form before January 17th. This will make receiving your discount quicker and easier. See the Frequently Asked Question below on why to submit your application early.
How to apply
- Review the eligibility requirements below.
- Login to the form to begin the application process. You'll need to know your GMU email address and password.
- After you login, you'll get to the "Tuition Discount for Virginia Educators" form. Fill out the form and then click "Submit."
- An email will be automatically sent to you via your school email address. Please click on the link in this verification email to confirm that your school email address is active and current.
- One of the questions on the form asks for your supervisor’s contact information. As part of the application process, we will contact him or her to ask for verification that you are a permanently hired employee at a school located in Virginia.
- Please note: If you need to make any modifications to your application after it has been submitted, the email verification process (steps #4 and #5 above) will restart. Both you and your supervisor will receive new verification emails. If your supervisor has already confirmed your employment, he/she will have to confirm again.
To receive the tuition discount, you'll need to submit the application form by the deadline above and be:
- An educator working in a public or non-public P-16 school located in Virginia.
Student must be a contractual employee working in a Virginia Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12 school as a teacher, counselor, administrator, supervisor, librarian, coach, or support staff member or an educator at the Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC).
- A student NOT in one of our fully online degree or certificate programs focused on autism or applied behavior analysis
- A resident of Virginia, as determined by the university's admissions office.
Student's domicile must be in Virginia as determined by George Mason University's admissions office. For questions, please see the Domicile FAQ.
- A student who has been accepted into a graduate program in the College of Education and Human Development.
Student must be primarily enrolled in a CEHD graduate program (i.e., master's, PhD, certificate, or non-degree graduate program). The tuition discount is not available, for example, to students who take CEHD courses but are primarily enrolled in programs offered by another college at the university.
- A student registered for one or more courses that are graduate-level, for-credit, and full-fee.
The tuition discount cannot be applied to already discounted "contract" courses. (Contract courses are those offered to teachers and other educators through arrangements made between a qualifying organization and George Mason University). The tuition discount also cannot be applied to non-credit-bearing courses.
Frequently asked questions
When will I know if I received the discount?
Please click on the button below to login and check the status of your application. As soon as your application is approved, you will receive a congratulatory email from CEHD with further information.
Why should I submit my tuition discount application early?
We strongly encourage you to submit the tuition discount application form as soon as possible but no later than the May 30th deadline.
If you submit the tuition discount application form to CEHD before May 23rd and are approved for a discount, your balance due on Patriot Web will automatically reflect the discounted rate.
If you submit the tuition discount application form to CEHD after May 23rd, the process may be more cumbersome. This is because we cannot guarantee that your application will be approved and the discount applied before your payment for Summer 2023 is due to the Student Accounts Office. If this is the case, you will need to pay your bill in full by the due date to avoid university late fees and/or holds. Then, once CEHD notifies you that your tuition discount has been approved, you’ll need to wait two business days for the discount to be reflected as a credit on your balance due on Patriot Web. You can then request a refund through the Student Accounts Office.
Will I need to submit the application form again next semester?
No! If you are approved in Fall 2022 or Spring 2023, you will be approved for the entire 2022-2023 academic year. You will only need to fill the form out each Fall.
What if I'm an out-of-state student?
A tuition discount for CEHD out-of-state students is available.
What about the other fees on my bill?
The Virginia Educator discount only applies to tuition.
Can I get the tuition discount on the courses I took in past semesters?
No. The discount cannot be applied retroactively to previous semesters.
Who do I contact about additional questions?
If you have additional questions, please contact us via email at email@example.com or phone at 703-993-3470 (please leave a voice mail).