Skip top navigation
College of Education and Human Development - George Mason University

Appeal of Academic Action Decisions

Students may appeal program decisions concerning academic actions to the CEHD Office of Student and Academic Affairs by completing the appropriate form listed below and submitting all supporting documentation. Students may hand deliver or mail the form and documentation to: Office of Student and Academic Affairs, College of Education and Human Development, Thompson Hall 2300, MS 4B4, Fairfax, VA 22030, or email the form and documentation to

If the request is denied by the College, students are afforded one final level of appeal to the Associate Provost. The burden of proof rests with the student who must provide clear and convincing documentation to support the contention that the decision was unfair. All documentation must be submitted prior to the last day of classes of the semester in which the original request was made. The Provost’s Office does not consider grade appeals, nor does the University Academic Appeals Committee.

Form Who Description
Appeal of GradesAll studentsStudents may appeal grades that they believe were assigned unjustly or were based on unclear criteria.
Appeal of SuspensionUndergraduateStudents who have been placed on suspension (first or second) may petition for an override of their suspension no later than three weeks prior to the start of the semester.
Academic ClemencyUndergraduateStudents who have been away from Mason for three or more consecutive years are eligible to request clemency.
Appeal of TerminationGraduateStudents who are terminated as a result of failing to meet the minimum standards of academic performance may appeal termination.
Time Limit Extension RequestsGraduateStudents who are unable to meet the time limit requirement to earn a degree may apply for an extension.


General complaints regarding the College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) may be made to the Office of Student and Academic Affairs, by completing a Complaint Form and submitting it electronically to

A grievance is a formal complaint that is raised by a student towards faculty or staff. The student should complete a Complaint Form and submit it electronically to CEHD Office of Student and Academic Affairs at All grievances will be thoroughly investigated.