Online Endorsement Review
Thank you for your interest in the State-approved teacher preparation programs at George Mason University!
The purpose of this website is to facilitate the collection, tracking, review, and approval of Endorsements (i.e., prerequisite content coursework) required by the College of Education and Human Development's State-approved programs.
An Endorsement review is required for admission to the following:
- Secondary Education (History/Social Sciences, English, Science, Mathematics)
- Elementary Education PK-6
- Early Childhood Education PK-3*
- International Education: FAST Train PK-6
- CVPA (Theatre**)
*Note to applicants interested in Early Childhood Education PK-3: Although not required for admission into the Early Childhood Education for Diverse Learners Master's program, applicants interested in pursuing licensure are urged to complete an Endorsement review for Early Childhood Education PK-3 as early as possible. An Endorsement review is required to apply for the secondary Graduate Certificate Program in Early Childhood Education (i.e. the licensure component).
**Note to applicants interested in Theatre: Following notification of the initial Endorsement review, please contact the Theatre Department at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an advising appointment.
Applicants who wish to teach Foreign Language or ESOL should contact The Office of Multicultural and Multilingual Education at email@example.com.
Please note that ALL endorsement coursework must be completed, with all transcripts submitted and approved by the CEHD Endorsement Office prior to the internship application deadline. Since the internship application must be submitted in the semester prior to the actual internship (please visit http://cehd.gmu.edu/teacher/intpract/ for deadlines), please make an appointment to meet with the Endorsement Specialist and plan the completion of your Endorsements accordingly.
A. Steps for Requesting an Initial Endorsement Review
Step 1: Create an Endorsement Account
- Click the link My Account, here or to the right.
- Next select the link labeled “Create a new account” and enter all biographical information. Hotmail email addresses have issues with this system; please use another service.
Step 2: Select an Endorsement Worksheet
- Once account is created: Click the “Form Selection” link to select licensure area (i.e. what you wish to teach). Biographical information will automatically populate on the worksheet selected.
Step 3: Enter Required Course Information
- Click on “Add Course”.
- Please enter the minimum number of courses required. The Endorsement Specialist conducts a course-by-course review and may add coursework deemed appropriate.
- Following the model, enter the course department/number and course title (as it appears on the transcript of the originating institution), semester credits earned, and the end date for each course.
- Enter the official course description from the course catalog. (This is crucial to avoid delays in the consideration of coursework for approval.)
- Please note that courses taken on a Pass-Fail or no-credit basis will not be considered.
Step 4: Submit Transcripts
- Everyone (including transfers from NVCC and GMU students) MUST submit legible copies (unofficial are fine) from ALL institutions attended, showing coursework with grades.
- Please include the cover sheet. (If you are not a GMU student, please disregard the G#.)
- Do not include a copy of the actual endorsement worksheet; this is accessed by the Endorsement Specialist from the database.
- Transcripts may be submitted via U.S. mail, email, or fax (contact info below).
- Please be advised that the initial Endorsement Review may take up to two weeks for processing once all documents have been received in our office.
Step 5: Following the Initial Endorsement Review
- An email will be received from the database; please sign in to see the Endorsement Review.
- An advising appointment is then required to discuss options to fulfill any remaining Endorsements and approve a plan of study to complete these credits. It is the responsibility of the student to make this appointment with the Endorsement Specialist.
- ALL further Endorsement coursework/CLEP exams must be PRE-APPROVED by the Endorsement Specialist and taken at a college/university recognized by a regional accreditation agency.
- Students should update their Endorsement account on a semester basis until endorsements are met.
- Please note that individuals applying to the PK-6 and Secondary programs MUST be within 9 credits of completing Endorsements before entering the desired program. A plan must be approved by the Endorsement Specialist and indicated on the Endorsement worksheet prior to application for admission, if not within 9 credits at time of application to the graduate program. The Admissions Office will NOT process applications without this plan in place.
- Please do not forget to include your Endorsement Review with your Graduate Application! This is a very important last step. Please either upload your Endorsement Review to your online application or submit your review to the Admissions Office.
- All Endorsement coursework must be complete for every student at the time of application for internship; no exceptions will be made.
B. Steps for Requesting an Update to Endorsement Review
Step 1: Log On to your Endorsement Account
- Click the link My Account, here or to the right, and sign in.
- Click on your Endorsement worksheet.
Step 2: Add Pre-approved Coursework to the Endorsement Worksheet
- Follow the instructions from STEP 3 of the Initial Endorsement review.
Step 3: Submit Transcripts
- Follow the instructions from STEP 4 of the Initial Endorsement review.
- The most expedient way to submit transcripts for an update is as an attachment to an email.
- Please expect processing time of up to two weeks during peak periods.
- Begin the process early
- Update every semester while working to complete endorsements
- After initial endorsement review, courses must be pre-approved
- C or better in all coursework to be approved
- Never self-advise
CEHD Endorsement Specialist
4400 University Dr. MS 4B4
Thompson Hall, Suite 2300
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone: (703) 993-2010
Fax: (703) 993-2082
This internal endorsement review is used solely as a component of the programs of the College of Education and Human Development. If you choose not to complete a CEHD program, transfer to another program, transfer to another institution, or attempt to become hired under provisional licensure, you will be subject to a new review by that institution, school division, or by the Virginia Department of Education.
To begin, click the "My Account" link here or to the right.