Online Content Area Review
The purpose of this website is to facilitate the collection, tracking, review, and approval of Content Area Reviews (i.e., prerequisite content coursework) required by the College of Education and Human Development's state-approved programs.
Thank you for your interest in the state-approved teacher preparation programs at George Mason University!
A content/endorsement review is required for admission to the following:
- Secondary Education (History/Social Sciences, English, Science, Mathematics, Computer Science)
- Elementary Education PK-6
- Early Childhood Education PK-3*
- International Education: Elementary PK-6
- International ESOL PK-12 graduate certificate
- ESOL for Practioners graduate certificate
- Foreign Language education graduate certificate
- CVPA (Theatre**)
- Art Education***
- Music Education
*Note to applicants interested in Early Childhood Education PK-3: Although not required for admission into the Early Childhood Education for Diverse Learners Master's program, applicants interested in pursuing licensure are urged to complete a content coursework review for Early Childhood Education PK-3 as early as possible. A content coursework review is required to apply for the secondary Graduate Certificate Program in Early Childhood Education (i.e. the licensure component).
**Note to applicants interested in Theatre: following notification of the initial content area review, please contact the Theatre Department at email@example.com to schedule an advising appointment.
***Note to applicants interested in Art Education: following notification of the initial content area review, please contact the Graduate Art Education office at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an advising appointment.
Please note that ALL content area coursework must be completed, with all transcripts submitted and approved by the CEHD Endorsement Office prior to the internship application deadline. Since the internship application must be submitted in the semester prior to the actual internship (please visit Student Clinical Practice for deadlines), please make an appointment to meet with the Pre-Education Advising Coordinator and plan the completion of these requirements accordingly.
A. Steps for Requesting an Initial Content Area/Endorsement Review
Step 1: Create an Account
- Click the link My Account, here or to the left.
- Next select the link labeled “Create a new account” and enter all biographical information. Hotmail email addresses have issues with this system; please use another service.
Step 2: Select a Worksheet
- Once account is created: click the “Form Selection” link to select licensure area (i.e., what you wish to teach). Biographical information will automatically populate on the worksheet selected.
Step 3: Enter Required Course Information
- Click on “Add Course”.
- Please enter the minimum number of courses required. The Pre-Education Advising Coordinator conducts a course-by-course review and may add coursework deemed appropriate.
- Following the model, enter the course department/number and course title (as it appears on the transcript of the originating institution), semester credits earned, and the end date for each course.
- Enter the official course description from the course catalog. (This is crucial to avoid delays in the consideration of coursework for approval.)
- Please note that courses taken on a pass-fail or no-credit basis will not be considered.
Step 4: Submit Transcripts
- Everyone (including transfers from NVCC and GMU students) MUST submit legible copies (unofficial are fine) from ALL institutions attended, showing coursework with grades.
- Please include the cover sheet. (If you are not a GMU student, please disregard the G#.)
- You will not need to include a copy of the actual content review worksheet.
- Transcripts may be submitted via U.S. mail, email, or fax (contact info below).
- Please be advised that the initial review may take up to two weeks for processing once all documents have been received in our office.
Step 5: Following the Initial Content Area Review
- An email will be received from the database; please sign in to see the Reviewed Worksheet.
- An advising appointment is then required to discuss options to fulfill any remaining requirements and approve a plan of study to complete these credits. It is the responsibility of the student to make this appointment.
- ALL further content coursework/CLEP exams must be PRE-APPROVED by the Pre-Education Advising Coordinator and taken at a college/university recognized by a regional accreditation agency.
- Students should update their worksheet on a semester basis until requirements are met.
- Please note that individuals applying to the PK-6 and Secondary programs MUST be within 9 credits of completing requirements before entering the desired program. A plan must be approved by the Pre-Education Advising Coordinator and indicated on the worksheet prior to application for admission, if not within 9 credits at time of application to the graduate program. The Admissions Office will NOT process applications without this plan in place.
- Please do not forget to include your Content Area Review with your Graduate Application! This is a very important last step. Please either upload your Reviewed Worksheet to your online application or submit your review to the Admissions Office.
- All Content Area coursework must be complete for every student at the time of application for internship; no exceptions will be made.
B.Steps for Requesting an Update to Content Area Review
Step 1: Log On to your Account
- Click the link My Account, here or to the left, and sign in.
- Click on your Content Area Review worksheet.
Step 2: Add Pre-approved Coursework to the Online Worksheet
- Follow the instructions from STEP 3 of the Initial Content Area/Endorsement review.
Step 3: Submit Transcripts
- Follow the instructions from STEP 4 of the Initial Content Area/Endorsement review.
- The most expedient way to submit transcripts for an update is as an attachment to an email.
- Please expect processing time of up to two weeks during peak periods.
- Begin the process early.
- Update every semester while working to complete requirements.
- After initial content area/endorsement review, courses must be pre-approved.
- C or better in all coursework is required in order to be approved.
- Never self-advise.
CEHD Pre-Education Advising Coordinator
4400 University Dr. MS 4B4
Thompson Hall, Suite 2300
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone: (703) 993-2892
Fax: (703) 993-2082
This internal review is used solely as a component of the programs of the College of Education and Human Development. If you choose not to complete a CEHD program, transfer to another program, transfer to another institution, or attempt to become hired under provisional licensure, you will be subject to a new review by that institution, school division, or by the Virginia Department of Education.
To begin, click the "My Account" link here or to the left.