How to Apply
How do I apply and what are the admissions requirements?
For most areas of teacher licensure, you’ll need to apply to and be accepted by two programs:
- Your undergraduate program:
This is your content area program. For example, if you want to be physics teacher, you would apply to Mason as an undergraduate student and select physics as your major. You can find information about Mason undergraduate admissions here. It is best to contact the CEHD Office of Admissions and set up an appointment with an advisor if you’re not sure what major to select – we can help you figure out what major will help you meet the content area pre-requisite requirements for your teacher preparation program.
- Your teacher preparation program:
You will likely apply to your teacher preparation program sometime during your undergraduate studies. (Note: For some programs, you only need to apply to the undergraduate major.) Meet with a CEHD advisor for help figuring out your timeline. Below are some standard CEHD admissions requirements. Your specific educator preparation program may not require all of the items below. You can review the requirements for specific CEHD programs here.
- Resume: Resume should be updated and free of grammatical errors.
- Goals Statement: The goals statement is 750-1000 words and should describe your academic and career goals related to the intended program.
- Transcript: Students can upload their unofficial transcripts for application review. Students with international credentials must provide official documents for admissions review. Please refer to the Office of Graduate Admissions for specific requirements.
- Two letters of recommendation: Recommendations should be professional or academic in nature.
- Content Area (Endorsement) Requirement Worksheet: Applicants will need to create an account with our endorsement system and upload corresponding documents. Our content area advisor will verify academic credentials and provide advising on additional requirements if necessary. Applications must upload this document to their application. Specific information on this process can be found on our Endorsement page.
- Interview: Several programs require an interview. Interviews are by invitation only. Applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview once all other application requirements have been met.