Emergency First Aid, CPR and Use of AED Certification or Training
As of July 1st, 2017, every person seeking initial licensure will need to provide evidence that they completed “hands-on” training. We will no longer be able to accept the online only training.
To meet the state of Virginia requirement for certification or training in emergency first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and the use of automated external defibrillators (must be based on the current national evidence-based guidelines for CPR and AED), all students enrolled in "initial licensure" state-approved educator preparation programs, or applying for initial licensure will need to present evidence of meeting one of the following 3 options:
- Option 1 (recommended): American Red Cross or American Heart Association First Aid/CPR/AED Certification with "hands-on" component.
- Acceptable evidence: A copy (front and back) of the American Red Cross or American Heart Association certificate that reflects successful completion of all THREE AREAS (First Aid/CPR/AED).
- Option 2: American Heart Association’s Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Online Part 1 Training without "hands-on" component. As of July 1, 2017, we will no longer be able to accept online only training.
- Acceptable evidence: A copy of the Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Online Part 1 certificate of completion (must reflect all THREE AREAS: First Aid/CPR/AED) for the Online only portion.
- Option 3: Only available for individuals that already hold a VA teaching license.
- Acceptable evidence: A valid and active VA Dept of Education issued license that reflects the First Aid/CPR/AED requirement as met (note: certificates of completion from school divisions or any other types of documentation will not be accepted).
Any person with a disability whose disability prevents him or her from completing the certification or training may submit a request for a waiver from the new requirement: Acceptable Evidence: Request for Waiver Form (Word)
Effective Spring 2015 Internships, verification that the Emergency First Aid, CPR, and Use of AED Certification or Training requirement must be submitted and documented in the Mason system (i.e. Banner/PatriotWeb) by the application deadline. Students must submit one of the "acceptable evidence" documents listed above to the Educator Preparation Office in order to have the requirement reflected as met in the Mason system; documents can be scanned/e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped-off in Thompson Hall, Suite 1700.
NOTE: Your G-Number must be clearly noted (visible and legible) on the face of the document(s) that you submit.