Mathematics teacher education; mathematics identity development; equity and access to higher-level mathematics for underrepresented populations; historical analysis of Black teacher and student experiences in U.S. mathematics education, recruitment and retention of mathematics teachers of color; recruitment and retention of mathematics teachers for underserved schools
Frank, T. J. (2018). Teaching our children: Unpacking a Black mathematics teacher’s understanding of mathematics identity. Journal for Multicultural Education, 12(2), 144-160.
Frank, T.J. (2019). Using critical race theory to unpack the Black mathematics teacher pipeline. In J. Davis & C. Jett (Eds.). Critical race theory in mathematics education.
Frank, T. J. & Williams, M.A. (2019) A self-study in supporting pre-service secondary mathematics teachers’ critical teacher noticing during field experiences in diverse schools. In A. Lopez & E. Olan (Eds.), Transformative Pedagogies for Teacher Education: Moving Towards Critical Praxis in an era of Change. Information Age Publishers.
Frank, T.J., Khalil, D., Scates, B, & Odoms, S. (2018). Listening to and learning with Black teachers of mathematics. In I. Goffney & R. Gutiérrez (Eds.) NCTM Annual Perspectives in Mathematics Education: Rehumanizing Mathematics for Students who are Black, Indigenous, and/or Latin@/x. (pp. 147-158) Reston, VA: NCTM.
Samaras, A., Frank, T., Williams, M., Christopher, E., & Rodick, W.H. (2016). A collective study to improve program coherence of clinical experiences. Studying Teacher Education, 2(12), 170-187.
Clark, L, Depiper, J., Frank, T., Nishio, M., Campbell, P., Smith, T., Griffin, M., Rust, A., Conant, D., & Choi, Y. (2014). Teacher characteristics associated with mathematics teachers’ beliefs and awareness of their students’ mathematical dispositions. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 45(2), 246-284.
- Teaching Mathematics in the Secondary School (EDCI 372)
- Advanced Methods for Teaching Mathematics in the Secondary School (EDCI 472)
- Student Teaching in Education (EDCI 490)
- Teaching Mathematics in the Secondary School (EDCI 572)
- Advanced Methods of Teaching Mathematics in the Secondary School (EDCI 672)
- State and Local Leadership Issues in Mathematics Education (EDCI 726)
- Internship in Education (EDCI 790)
- Focused Science Education Research (EDCI 813)
- Mathematics Education Curriculum Design and Evaluation (EDCI 856)
- Preparation and Professional Development of Mathematics Teachers (EDCI 857)
- Professional Development in Elementary, Literacy, and Secondary Education (EDPD 502)
- Foundations of Secondary Education (EDUC 422)
- Foundations of Secondary Education (EDUC 522)
- Independent Study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (EDUC 897)
- Advanced Internship in Education (EDUC 994)
- Doctoral Dissertation Proposal (EDUC 998)
- Doctoral Dissertation Research (EDUC 999)
- Algebra and Functions for K-8 Teachers (MATH 613)
- Internship: Secondary Education Math (SEED 793)