Dr. Shane V. Caswell
PhD, Ohio University
Co-Director, Sports Medicine Assessment Research and Testing (S.M.A.R.T.) Laboratory
Athletic Training Education Program
Phone: (703) 993-4638
Fax: (703) 993-2025
Email: scaswell (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Science and Technology Campus
Katherine G. Johnson Hall 201
10890 George Mason Circle
Manassas, VA 20110
Dr. Caswell is a Professor of Athletic Training and founding Executive Director of the Sports Medicine Assessment, Research & Testing (SMART) Laboratory where he and colleagues conduct research to prevent injury and optimize human performance. His research and outreach efforts have contributed to advancements in the prevention, diagnosis and management of concussion and improved access to healthcare for children participating in sport.
Professor Caswell initiated and leads the Advancing Healthcare Initiatives for Underserved Students (ACHIEVES) project that provides accessible athletic training health care services for middle school students. He also leads the Virginia Concussion Initiative (concussion.gmu.edu) where he and colleagues work to empower Virginia schools and their local communities to implement best practices for concussion management.
Dr. Caswell is the recipient of the Virginia Athletic Trainers’ Association Researcher of the Year Award and the George Mason University College of Education and Human Development Scholarly Achievement Award. His publications appear in prominent scientific and medical journals and he has delivered scholarly presentations nationally and internationally. He serves as a member US Lacrosse Sport Science and Safety Committee and is on the Editorial Boards for the Journal of Athletic Training, Injury Epidemiology, and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Dr. Caswell earned his B.S. in Physical Education Teacher Certification and Athletic Training from the State University of New York at Brockport; an M.S. in Athletic Training; and his Ph.D. from Ohio University.
- Sports Injury prevention
- TBI and Concussion
- Repetitive Head Impacts
Guillaume, S., Lincoln, A. E., Hepburn, L., Caswell, S. V., & Kerr, Z. Y. (2021). Rule modifications to reduce checking-related injuries in high school boys’ lacrosse. Journal of Athletic Training, 56(4), 437–445.Kerr, Z. Y., Lincoln A.E., Caswell, S. V.,
Caswell, S. V., Kelshaw, P. M., Lincoln, A. E., Herman, D. C., Hepburn, L. H., Vincent, H. K., Dunn, R. E., & Cortes, N. (2020). The Effects of Headgear in High School Girls’ Lacrosse. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine, 8(12), 2325967120969685.
Cook, N. E., Kelshaw, P. M., Caswell, S. V., & Iverson, G. L. (2019). Children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder perform differently on pediatric concussion assessment. The Journal of Pediatrics, 214, 168–174.
Ambegaonkar, J. P., Cortes, N., Caswell, S. V., Ambegaonkar, G. P., & Wyon, M. (2016). Lower extremity hypermobility, but not core muscle endurance influences balance in female collegiate dancers. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 11(2), 220.
Carey, L., Stanwell, P., Terry, D. P., McIntosh, A. S., Caswell, S. V., Iverson, G. L., & Gardner, A. J. (2019). Verifying head impacts recorded by a wearable sensor using video footage in rugby league: A preliminary study. Sports Medicine-Open, 5(1), 1–11.
Ambegaonkar, J.P. Mettinger, L., Burtt, A., Caswell, S.V., Ambegaonkar, S. J. & Cortes, N. Hip strength, balance, and risk of ACL injury (2015) Lower Extremity Review, June, 51-61.
- First Aid and Emergency Care (ATEP 120)
- Introduction to Athletic Training and Preventative Care Techniques (ATEP 150)
- Medical and Scientific Terminology (ATEP 201)
- Prevention, Recognition, and Management of Athletic and Fitness Related Injuries (ATEP 203)
- Physical Assessment of the Upper Body (ATEP 260)
- Clinical Techniques II: Physical Assessment of the Upper Body (ATEP 265)
- Functional Anatomy (ATEP 300)
- Athletic Training Clinical Techniques 2 (ATEP 354)
- Practicum III: Therapeutic Modalities (ATEP 356)
- Therapeutic Interventions 2 (ATEP 360)
- Upper Body Physical Assessment (ATEP 370)
- Athletic Training Clinical Techniques 3 (ATEP 375)
- Senior Seminar in Athletic Training (ATEP 441)
- Athletic Training Practicum 3 (ATEP 466)
- Independent Study in Athletic Training (ATEP 499)
- Upper Body Physical Assessment (ATEP 570)
- Athletic Training Clinical Techniques 3 (ATEP 575)
- Pediatric Sports Medicine (ATEP 660)
- Athletic Training Practicum 3 (ATEP 667)
- Athletic Training Research (ATEP 680)
- Advanced Topics in Education (EDUC 797)
- Doctoral Dissertation Proposal (EDUC 998)
- Doctoral Dissertation Research (EDUC 999)
- Workshop in Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion (EFHP 500)
- Special Topics (EFHP 598)
- Independent Study EFHP (EFHP 599)
- Scientific Foundation of Applied Kinesiology (EFHP 612)
- Project (EFHP 798)
- Critical Perspectives in Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion (EFHP 860)
- Independent Study (KINE 501)
- Research Experience I (KINE 890)
- Doctoral Dissertation Proposal (KINE 998)
- Special Topics (PHED 480)
- Independent Study in Physical Education and Fitness (PHED 499)