Chung, Rita Chi-Ying
Phone: (703) 993-3899
Fax: (703) 993-5577
Email: rchung (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Krug Hall 202B
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030
- Immigrants and Refugees Psychosocial Adjustment and Mental Health
- Human/Child Trafficking
- Cross-cultural Disaster Counseling
- Interethnic Group Race Relations
- Immigrant and Refugees Women and Women of Colour
- Cross-Cultural Issues in Psychology and Counseling
- International Psychology
- Chung, R. C-Y., & Bemak, F. (2012). Social Justice Counseling: The Next Steps Towards Multiculturalism. Sage Publications.
- Bemak, F., Chung, R. C-Y., & Pedersen, P. (2003). Counseling refugees: A psychosocial cultural approach to innovative multicultural interventions. Greenwood Press.
- Chung, R. C-Y., & Bemak, F. (2012). Training Social Justice Counselors - Walking the Talk. Mircotraining and Development/Alexander Street Press.
- Bemak, F., & Chung, R. C-Y. (2012). Counselors Without Borders: Making Change for a Better World. Microtraining and Development/Alexander Stress Press.
- Chung, R. C-Y., (2011). Social justice counselors in action: Walking the talk. North Atlantic Region, Association for Counselor Educators and Supervisors (NARACES) Conference 2010 Keynote Presentation (Invited). Mircotraining and Development/Alexander Street Press.
- Chung, R. C-Y., (2008). Working with students from immigrant families. American Psychological Association
Selected Publications in Refereed Journals
Chung, R. C-Y., & Bemak, F. (2013). Use of ethnographic fiction in social justice graduate counseling training. Counselor Education and Supervision, 52, 56-68.
Bemak, F., & Chung, R. C-Y. (2011) Applications in social justice counselor training: Classroom Without Walls. Journal of Humanistic Counseling, Education, and Development, 50(2), 204-219.
- Chung, R. C-Y., Bemak, F., & Kudo Grabosky, T. (2011). Multicultural-social justice leadership strategies: Counseling and advocacy with immigrants. Journal of Social Action in Psychology and Counseling, 3(1), 86-102.
Bemak, F., Chung, R. C-Y., Talleyrand, R. M., Jones, H., & Daquin J. (2011). Implementing multicultural social justice strategies in counselor education training programs. Journal of Social Action in Psychology and Counseling, 3(1), 29-43.
Bemak, F., & Chung, R. C-Y. (2011). Post-disaster social justice group work and group supervision. Journal for Specialists in Group Work, 36(1), 3-21.
- Chung, R. C-Y. (2009). Reflections of an Asian woman human rights and social action warrior. Journal of Social Action in Counseling and Psychology, Invited Special Section on Personal Narratives on Activism for Social Justice and Systems Transformation, 2(1), 36-43.
- Chung, R. C-Y. (2009). Cultural perspectives on child trafficking, human rights and social justice: A model for psychologists. Counselling Psychology Quarterly, Special Issue: Models of Mental Health and Human Rights in Celebration of the 60th Anniversary of the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights for All, 22(1), 85-96.
- Chung, R. C-Y., Bemak, F., Ortiz, D. P., Sandoval-Perez, P.A. (2008). Promoting the mental health of migrants: A multicultural-social justice perspective. Journal of Counseling and Development, Multicultural and Diversity Issues in Counseling, Special Issues, 38, 310-317.
- Bemak, F., & Chung R. C-Y. (2008). New professional roles and advocacy strategies for school counselors: A multicultural social justice perspective to move beyond the nice counselor syndrome. Journal of Counseling and Development,Multicultural and Diversity Issues in Counseling, Special Issues, 38, 372-381.
- Chung, R., C-Y, Bemak, F., & Talleyrand, R. (2007). Mentoring within the field of counseling: A preliminary study of multicultural perspectives. International Journal for the Advancement of Counselling, 29, 21-32..
- Hinton, D. E., Sinclair, J., Chung, R. C-Y., & Pollack, M. H. (2007). The SF-36 among Cambodian and Vietnamese refugees: An examination of psychometric properties. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 29(1), 38-45.
- Chung, R. C-Y. (2005). Women, humans rights and counseling: Crossing international boundaries. Journal of Counseling and Development (Special Issue on women and counseling), 83, 262-268.
- Bemak, F., & Chung, R. C-Y., & Siroskey-Sabdo (2005). Empowerment groups for academic success (EGAS): An innovative approach to prevent high school failure for at-risk urban African American girls. Professional School Counseling. 377-389.
- Bemak, F., & Chung, R. C-Y. (2005). Advocacy as a critical role for school counselors: Working towards equity and social justice. Professional School Counseling, 196-202.
- Bemak, F. & Chung, R. C-Y. (2004). Teaching multicultural group counseling: Perspectives for a new era. Journal for the Specialist in Group Work (Special Issue), 31-42.
- Chung, R. C-Y. & Bemak, F. (2002). The relationship between culture and empathy in cross- cultural counseling. Journal of Counseling and Development, 80, 154-159.
- Chung, R. C-Y. & Bemak. F. (2002). Revisiting the California Southeast Asian mental health needs assessment data: An examination of refugee ethnic and gender differences. Journal of Counseling and Development, 80(1), 111-119.
- Chung, R. C-Y. (2001). Psychosocial adjustment of Cambodian refugee women: Implications for mental health counseling. Journal of Mental Health Counseling,23(2), 115-126.
- Chung, R. C-Y., Bemak, F., & Wong, S. (2000). Vietnamese students level of distress, social support and acculturation: Implications for mental health counseling. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 22(2), 150-161.
- Bemak, F., & Chung, R. C-Y. (1999). Vietnamese Amerasians: The relationship between American fathers and psychological distress and self destructive behavior. Journal of Community Psychology, 27(4), 443-456.
- Hanna, F. J., Bemak, F., & Chung, R. C-Y. (1999). Wisdom, culture and context: Toward a new paradigm for multicultural counseling. Journal of Counseling and Development, 77, 125-134.
Selected Invited Book Chapters
- Bemak, F. & Chung, R. C-Y. (2008). Counseling disaster survivors: Implications for cross-cultural mental health. In P.B. Pedersen, J.G. Draguns, W.J. Lonner & J.E. Trimble (Eds.), Counseling across cultures (6th ed., pp. 325-340). Thousands Oaks, CA: Sage Publications
Bemak, F., & Chung, R. C-Y. (2008). Counseling refugees and migrants. In P.B. Pedersen, J.G. Draguns, W.J. Lonner & J.E. Trimble (Eds.), Counseling across cultures
(6th ed, pp. 307-324.). Thousands Oaks, CA: Sage Publications
- Chung, R. C-Y., & Bemak, F. (2007). Immigrant and refugee populations. In M.G. Constantine (Ed.). Clinical practice with people of color: A guide to becoming culturally competent (pp.125-142). New York, NY: Teachers College, Columbia University.
- Bemak, F., & Chung, R. C-Y. (2007). Training social justice counselors. In C. Lee (Ed.). Counseling for social justice (pp.239-258). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Chung, R. C-Y., & Bemak, F. (2007). Asian Immigrants and refugees. In Leong, F., Inman, A.G., Ebreo, A. Yang, L., Kinoshita, L. M., & Fu. M. (Eds.). Handbook of Asian American psychology (pp. 227-244, 2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Chung, R. C-Y. (2006). Southeast Asian Americans. In Y. Jackson (Eds.). Encyclopedia of multicultural psychology (pp.437-443). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Talleyrand, R., Chung, R. C-Y., & Bemak, F. (2006). Infusing social justice in graduating training programs: A case study example. In R. Toporek, L. Gerstein, N. Fouad, G. Roysircar & N. Israel (Eds.). Handbook for social justice in counseling psychology: Leadership, vision, and action (pp. 44-58). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Chung, R. C-Y., & Bemak, F. (2006). Counseling Americans of Southeast Asian descent: The impact of the refugee experience. In C. C. Lee (Ed.) Multicultural issues in counseling: New approaches to diversity (pp. 151-170, 3rd ed.). Alexandria, VA: American Association for Counseling and Development.
- Bemak, F., & Chung, R. C-Y. (2004). Culturally oriented psychotherapy with refugees In U. Gielen, J. Draguns, & J. Fish (Eds.), Culture, therapy, and healing. (pp.121-132). Needham Heights, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
- Chung, R. C-Y. (2004). Group counseling with Asians. In J.L. DeLucia-Waack, D. Gerrity, C. Kalodner & M. Riva (Eds.). Handbook for group counseling and psychotherapy (pp.200-212). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publication.
- Bemak, F., Chung, R. C-Y., & Murphy, C.S. (2003) A new perspective in counseling at-risk youth. In B. T. Erford (Ed.), Professional School Counseling (pp. 285-296). New York: Merrill Prentice Hall.
- Bemak, F., & Chung, R. C-Y. (2003). Multicultural counseling with immigrant students in schools. In P.B. Pedersen & J. Carey (Eds.), Multicultural counseling in schools (2nd ed, pp. 84-101). Needham Heights, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
- Bemak, F. & Chung, R. C-Y. (2002). Refugees and terrorism: Cultural considerations in clinical interventions. In C. Stout (Ed.). The psychology of terrorism (Vol. 2, pp. 1-26): Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers/Greenwood Publishing Group.
- Kagawa-Singer, M., & Chung, R. C-Y. (2002). Towards a new paradigm: A cultural systems approach. In K. Kurasaki, S. Okazaki & S. Sue (Eds.), Asian American mental health: Assessment theories and methods (pp. 47-66). New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers.
- Chung, R. C-Y. (2002). Combatting racism: Speaking up and speaking out. In J. Kottler (Ed.). Finding your way as a counselor (pp. 105-108, 2nd Edition). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Chung, R. C-Y., Bemak, F., & Kilinc, A. (2002). Culture and empathy: Case studies in cross- cultural counseling. In P. Breggin, L. Wolowitz & F. Bemak (Eds.), Empathic turning points in therapy (pp. 119-1128). New York, NY: Springer Publishers.
- Bemak, F., & Chung, R. C-Y. (2000). Psychological interventions with immigrants and refugees. In J.A. Aponte and J. Wohl (Eds.), Psychological interventions and cultural diversity (2nd ed. pp. 200-213). Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Courses Taught This Semester
Other Courses Taught
- Advanced Human Growth and Development (EDCD 525)
- Multicultural Counseling (EDCD 660)
- The Theory and Practice of Counseling Supervision (EDCD 899)
- Leadership and Advocacy in the Counseling Profession (EDCD 900)
- Advanced Internship in Counseling Leadership (EDCD 990)
- Independent Study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (EDUC 897)
- Doctoral Dissertation Proposal (EDUC 998)
- Doctoral Dissertation Research (EDUC 999)