Dr. Nelson Cortes
PhD, Old Dominion University
Sports Medicine Assessment Research and Testing (S.M.A.R.T.) Laboratory
Exercise, Fitness and Health Promotion
Dr. Cortes earned his B.S. in Physical Education & Exercise Science from ULHT with a special emphasis in Sports Biomechanics; an M.S. Ed. in Exercise Science with concentration in Clinical Biomechanics; and his Ph.D. in Human Movement Science from Old Dominion University. He has authored his research in refereed journals, and other publications; and has presented regionally, nationally and internationally. Dr. Cortes serves as a manuscript reviewer for several journals, including Journal of Applied Biomechanics, Journal of Athletic Training, Journal of Sports Science.
Biomechanics; Lower Extremity; Biomechanics; Osteoarthritis; Post-Traumatic Osteoarthritis; Bioimaging; Diagnostic Ultrasound; Wearable Sensors; Motion Analysis; mTBI; Concussion; Youth; Pediatrics; Injury Prevention;
For a full and comprehensive list, please consult my CV.
- *Azevedo, A.M., Oliveira, R., Vaz, J. R., & Cortes, N. (2019) Foot modeling affects ankle sagittal plane kinematics during jump-landing. J Biomech
- *Azevedo, A.M., Wei, Q., Oliveira, R., Vaz, J. R., & Cortes, N. (2019) Effect of Two Different Pose Estimation Approaches on Lower Extremity Biomechanics in Professional Dancers. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology
- *Pope, J., Helwig, K., Morrison, S., Estep, A., Caswell, S. V., Ambegaonkar, J., & Cortes, N. (2019). Multifactorial Exercise and Dance-Based Interventions are Effective in Reducing Falls Risk in Community Dwelling Older Adults: A Comparison Study. Gait Posture, 70(5): 370-375. IF: 2.347
- Kelshaw, P. M., Gould, T. E., Jesunathadas, M., Cortes, N., Caswell, A., Edwards, E. D., & Caswell, S. V. (2019). Laboratory Performance Evaluation of Pristine and Used Headgear for Girls’ Lacrosse. J Appl Biomech, 1-19.
- Antoniak, G., Biswas, T., Sikdar, S., Cortes, N., Chun, C., & Bhandawat, V. (2019). Generalized Model of Locomotion. Int Comp Biol, 59, E5-E5.
- Caswell, S. V., Kelshaw, P., Lincoln, A. E., Hepburn, L., Dunn, R., & Cortes, N. (2019). Game-Related Impacts in High School Boys’ Lacrosse. Orthop J Sports Med, 7(4): 2325967119835587. IF: N/A
- Kerr, Z. Y., Cortes, N., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, A. M., Prebble, M., Romm, K., & Caswell, S. V. (2019). The Epidemiology of Injuries in Middle School Football, 2015-2017: The Advancing Healthcare Initiatives for Underserved Students Project. Am J Sports Med, 47(4): 933-941. IF: 5.67
- Antoniak, G., Biswas, T., Sikdar, S., Cortes, N., Chun, C., & Bhandawat, V. (2019). Spring-loaded inverted pendulum goes through two contraction-extension cycles during the single stance phase of walking. bioRxiv, 509687
- Barber Foss, K.D., Yuan, W., Diekfuss, J. A., Leach, J., Meehan, W., DiCesare, C. A., Solomon, G., Schneider, D. K., MacDonald, J., Dudley, J., Cortes, N., Galloway, R., Halstead, M., Walker, G., & Myer, G. D. (2019). Relative head impact exposure and brain white matter alterations after a single season of competitive football: A pilot comparison of youth versus high school football. Clin J Sports Med. IF: 2.224
- Kerr, Z. Y., Cortes, N., Ambegaonkar, J. P., Caswell, A. M., Prebble, M., Hallsmith, K. R., & Caswell, S. V. (2018). The epidemiology of injuries in middle school football, 2015-2017: The ACHIEVES Project. Am J Sports Med. IF: 5.673
- Azevedo, A. M., Oliveira, R., Vaz, J. R., & Cortes, N. (2019). Professional dancers distinct biomechanical pattern during multidirectional landings. Med Sc Sport Exerc, 51(3):539-547 IF: 4.291
- Principal Investigator, $216,000 with Potomac Health Foundation, POISED (Precision Outreach Intervention, Screening, Surveillance and Exercise for Falls Prevention) Prince William. Funded 2016. Co-Investigators: S. Caswell, J. Ambegaonkar, and S. Morrison (Old Dominion University)
- Co-Investigator, $257,000 with Potomac Health Foundation, Middle School ACHIEVES. Funded 2016. PI: S. Caswell. Co-Investigators: J. Ambegaonkar, A. Caswell
- Co-Principal Investigator, $28,479 with US Lacrosse, Video Analysis and Headgear Evaluation: Phase III. Co-Principal Investigator: Shane Caswell. Funded March 2016
- Principal Investigator, $248,000 with Potomac Health Foundation, POISED (Precision Outreach Intervention, Screening, Surveillance and Exercise for Falls Prevention) Prince William. Funded 2015. Co-Investigators: S. Caswell, J. Ambegaonkar, and S. Morrison (Old Dominion University)
- Co-Investigator, $250,000 with Potomac Health Foundation, Middle School ACHIEVES. Funded 2015. PI: S. Caswell. Co-Investigators: J. Ambegaonkar, A. Caswell
- Co-Principal Investigator, $24,000 with US Lacrosse: Video Analysis and Head Gear Evaluation: Phase II. Principal Investigator: S. Caswell. Funded Summer 2015
- Co-Principal Investigator, $28,000 with US Lacrosse: Video Analysis and Head Gear Evaluation: Phase I. Principal Investigator: S. Caswell. Funded Summer 2014.
- Cortes N (Co-I), $1,952,090. Functional Evaluation to Predict Lower Extremity Musculoskeletal Injury. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases R01 mechanism. Onate (PI). 2013-2018
- Cortes, N (PI), $5,000. A preliminary study to understand early development of knee osteoarthrithis. CEHD Seed Grant (2012-2013)
- Cortes N (Co-PI), $100,000 with The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia Higher Education Equipment Trust Fund. "Sports Medicine Assessment, Research & Testing Laboratory Equipment Proposal", Caswell SV (Co-PI). Awarded February 2012
- Cortes N (Co-PI), $50,000 with The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia Higher Education Equipment Trust Fund. "Sports Medicine Assessment, Research & Testing Laboratory Equipment Proposal", Caswell SV (Co-PI). Awarded February 2012
- Cortes N (PI). Neuromechanical Analysis of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Risk Factors in Female Collegiate Soccer Athletes. Portuguese Science and Technology Foundation (SFRH / BD / 28046 / 2006). Equivalent to NIH F31 Pre Doctoral Training. 2006-2010
- Cortes N (Key Personnel). Diekrager S (PI) Objective Assessment Instrumentation for Manual Therapy Techniques. NCCAM: 1 R43 AT004941-01. 09/2009 - 12/2009.
Caswell, S., Cortes, N., Mitchell, K., Liotta, L., & Petricoin, E. (2015). Development of Nanoparticle-Enabled Protein Biomarker Discovery: Implementation for Saliva-Based Traumatic Brain Injury Detection. In C. F. Streckfus (Ed), Advances in Salivary Diagnostics (pp. 121-129): Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
Onate, J. A., & Cortes, N. (2012). Gender Effect of Fatigue on Lower Extremity Kinematics and Kinetics During Athletic Tasks. In F. R. Noyes & S. D. Barber-Westin (Eds.), ACL Injuries in the Female Athlete. Causes, Impacts, and Conditioning Programs (pp. 221-234): Springer.
- Independent Study in Athletic Training (ATEP 499)
- Independent Study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (EDUC 897)
- Advanced Internship in Education (EDUC 994)
- Doctoral Dissertation Research (EDUC 999)
- Special Topics (EFHP 598)
- Independent Study EFHP (EFHP 599)
- Advanced Applied Biomechanics (EFHP 613)
- Research Methods for Applied Kinesiology (EFHP 620)
- Exercise, Health, and Fitness Program Development (EFHP 630)
- Motor Learning (EFHP 730)
- Measurement Techniques and Instrumentation (EFHP 815)
- Data Analytics in Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion (EFHP 825)
- Critical Perspectives in Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion (EFHP 860)
- Grant Writing (EFHP 880)
- Biomechanics (KINE 400)
- Research Methods (KINE 450)
- Kinesiology Internship III (KINE 490)
- Applied Biomechanics (KINE 603)
- Physiology of Exercise (PHED 450)
- Research Methods (PRLS 450)