Dr. Margaret Weiss
PhD, University of Virginia
Principal Investigator, Region 4 Training and Technical Assistance Center
Helen A. Kellar Institute for Human disAbilities
Sp Ed: General Curriculum
Phone: (703) 993-5732
Fax: (703) 993-3681
Email: mweiss9 (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Finley Building 213
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030
- Using technology to support teacher education (e.g., eCoaching with bug in ear technology)
- Co-teaching and collaboration between general educators and special educators at the secondary level
- Co-teaching and collaboration between faculty members in teacher education
- Interventions to help secondary students with disabilities access the general education curriculum
- Qualitative methods, particularly Grounded Theory
Weiss, M. P., & Rodgers, W. (In press). Instruction in co-taught secondary classrooms: An exploratory case study in Algebra 1. Journal of American Academy of Special Education Professionals.
Weiss, M. P., & Fagella-Luby, M. (In press). Transition services for students with learning disabilities. In J. P. Bakken and F. E. Obiakor (Eds.), Transition services for students with disabilities (Vol. 35). Bingley, United Kingdom: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
Regan, K. S., & Weiss, M. P. (2019). Bug-In-Ear coaching for teacher candidates: What, why, and how to get started. Intervention in School and Clinic (Published Online First 4/29/2019). Doi: 10.1177/1053451219842218
Weiss, M. P., & Glaser, H. (2019). Instruction in co-teaching in the age of Endrew F. Behavior Modification (Published Online First 3/7/2019). Doi:10.1177/0145445519836071
Rodgers, W., & Weiss, M. P. (2019). Evidence-based instruction in co-taught secondary mathematics courses. TEACHING Exceptional Children, 51, 276-285.
Weiss, M. P. (2018). Interventions for students with learning disabilities. In F. E. Obiakor and J. P. Bakken (Eds.), Viewpoints on interventions for learners with disabilities (pp. 13-30). London: Emerald.
McElwee, C. B., Regan, K., Baker, P., & Weiss, M. P. (2018). Preservice teachers’ perceptions: The influence of university coursework, context, and relationships during the clinical teaching experience. The Teacher Educator’s Journal, 11, 22-51.
Weiss, M. P. (2018). How to review for TEACHING Exceptional Children. TEACHING Exceptional Children, 50, 123-129.
Weiss, M. P., & Glaser, H. (2017). Specially-designed instruction in co-teaching: The need for a clear framework. In J. P. Bakken (Ed.), Classrooms: Assessment practices for teachers and student improvement strategies (pp. 57-72). Hauppauge, NY: NovaScience.
Weiss, M. P., Pellegrino, A., & Regan, K. (2017). Collaboration in teacher education: Hurdles crossed, lessons learned. In J. Goeke, K. Mitchem, and K. Kossar (Eds.), Redesigning special education teacher preparation: Challenges and solutions (pp. 81-96). New York: Routledge.
Nagro, S. A., Weiss, M. P., & True, J. (2017). “I hate math!” Making mathematics more accessible for students with disabilities. In W. Murawski & K. L. Scott (Eds.), What really works in special education (pp. 6-22). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
Pellegrino, A., & Weiss, M. P. (2017). Examining collaboration in preservice teacher preparation and clinical practice. Action in Teacher Education, 39, 340-357.
Regan, K., Weiss, M. P., & Evmenova, A. (2017). Using eCoaching to prepare novice teacher educators. Journal of Teaching and Learning with Technology, 6(1), 45-64.
- Internship in Education (EDCI 790)
- Characteristics of Students with Disabilities who Access the General Curriculum (EDSE 241)
- Assessment (EDSE 352)
- Introduction to Special Education (EDSE 401)
- Introduction to Special Education (EDSE 501)
- Characteristics of Students with Disabilities who Access the General Curriculum (EDSE 540)
- Vocabulary, Comprehension, and Written Expression for Students with Specific Learning Disabilities (EDSE 565)
- Practicum I for Specialized Reading Instruction for Students with Specific Learning Disabilities (EDSE 566)
- Practicum for Specialized Reading Instruction for Students with Specific Learning Disabilities (EDSE 567)
- Assessment (EDSE 627)
- Secondary Curriculum and Strategies for Students with Disabilities who Access the General Curriculum (EDSE 629)
- Consultation and Collaboration (EDSE 662)
- Internship: Special Education in General Curriculum (EDSE 783)
- Internship in Special Education (EDSE 790)
- Current Issues in Special Education (EDSE 844)
- Personnel Preparation Programs in Special Education (EDSE 845)
- Effective Collaboration for Teaching Diverse Learners in Secondary Social Studies (EDUC 592)
- Independent Study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (EDUC 897)
- Advanced Internship in Education (EDUC 994)
- Doctoral Dissertation Proposal (EDUC 998)
- Doctoral Dissertation Research (EDUC 999)