Phone: (703) 993-4496
Fax: (703) 993-4497
Email: mklei1 (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Krug Hall 112A
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030
Kay Klein is the Assistant Director for the Virginia Department of Education Training and Technical Assistance Center(T/TAC): Region 4. She believes teachers, administrators, and families share a common goal to improve academic outcomes. Building a trusting relationship is the foundational skill for teachers to move students to learn. Her areas of interest are Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports(PBIS) and integrating multi-tiered systems of support. Kay received her B.A. in Special Education from Furman University and her M.Ed. in Education from Marymount University with endorsements in learning and emotional disabilities. Prior to working at T/TAC, Kay was a behavioral consultant for the Intensive Behavior Management Project for the Department of Mental Health and Hygiene in Maryland, worked for the Arlington Community Services Board and Arlington County Public Schools. She began her career as at the Northern Virginia Training Center as a member of the behavioral support team designing and implementing behavior support plans for students with severe challenging behavior.
- Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
- Integrating Multi-tiered Systems of Support
- Coaching to support division and schools to design equitable learning environments
- An Introduction to Effective Schoolwide Discipline in Virginia, Virginia Department of Education Publication,2005
- Functional Behavior Assessment, Virginia Department of Education Publication, 2005
- Effective Schoolwide Discipline Training Manual 2006, 2007
- A Call to Action: Parent and caregiver Focus Group Findings about Special Education Services for Students with Emotional Disabilities. Summit on Better Serving Students with Emotional Disabilities. August/2010