PhD, George Mason University
Sp Ed: Adapted Curriculum
Phone: (703) 993-5469
Fax: (703) 993-3681
Email: mainswor (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Finley Building 206A
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030
Dr. Ainsworth serves as an Instructional Faculty member for the Graduate School of Education. She teaches courses in the Adapted Curriculum Program both in the Severe Disabilities Consortium and in Cohort Outreach programs
Dr. Ainsworth’s research focuses on instructional practices and quality of life issues for individuals with low-incidence disabilities. Her research involves individuals with intellectual disabilities, autism and physical disabilities across the life span.
Dr. Ainsworth earned a B. A. in English from West Virginia University and an M.A. in English from the University of Wyoming and she began her career in education as an English teacher. She later became interested in special education and earned both her M.Ed and Ph.D. in special education from George Mason University.
Dr. Ainsworth’s current research endeavors involve literacy instruction for school-aged students with intellectual disabilities, autism and complex communication needs and science content instruction for adults with intellectual disabilities, autism and physical disabilities.
· Ainsworth, M.K., Evmenova, E., Behrmann, M. & Jerome, M. (2016). Teaching phonics to groups of middle school students with autism, intellectual disabilities and complex communication needs. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 56, p 165-176. doi: 10.1016/j.ridd.2016.06.001
Courses Taught This Semester
Other Courses Taught
- Medical and Developmental Risk Factors for Children with Disabilities (EDSE 447)
- Foundations of Language and Literacy for Diverse Learners (EDSE 457)
- Curriculum and Assessment in Severe Disabilities (EDSE 533)
- Characteristics of Students with Mental Retardation (EDSE 542)
- Medical and Developmental Risk Factors for Children with Disabilities (EDSE 547)
- Curriculum and Methods: Severe Disabilities (EDSE 661)
- Interdisciplinary Approach for Children with Sensory and Motor Disabilities (EDSE 669)
- Internship: Adapted Curriculum (EDSE 784)
- Internship in Special Education (EDSE 790)