Dr. Melissa K. Ainsworth
PhD, George Mason University
Sp Ed: Adapted Curriculum
Phone: (703) 993-5469
Fax: (703) 993-3681
Email: mainswor (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Finley Building 206A
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030
Dr. Ainsworth serves as an Instructional Faculty member for the Graduate School of Education. She teaches courses in the Adapted Curriculum Program both in the Severe Disabilities Consortium and in Cohort Outreach programs
Dr. Ainsworth’s research focuses on instructional practices and quality of life issues for individuals with low-incidence disabilities. Her research involves individuals with intellectual disabilities, autism and physical disabilities across the life span.
Dr. Ainsworth earned a B. A. in English from West Virginia University and an M.A. in English from the University of Wyoming and she began her career in education as an English teacher. She later became interested in special education and earned both her M.Ed and Ph.D. in special education from George Mason University.
Dr. Ainsworth’s current research endeavors involve literacy instruction for school-aged students with intellectual disabilities, autism and complex communication needs and science content instruction for adults with intellectual disabilities, autism and physical disabilities.
· Ainsworth, M.K., Evmenova, E., Behrmann, M. & Jerome, M. (2016). Teaching phonics to groups of middle school students with autism, intellectual disabilities and complex communication needs. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 56, p 165-176. doi: 10.1016/j.ridd.2016.06.001
- Communication and Severe Disabilities (EDSE 434)
- Medical and Developmental Risk Factors for Children with Disabilities (EDSE 447)
- Foundations of Language and Literacy for Diverse Learners (EDSE 457)
- Curriculum and Methods in Severe Disabilities (EDSE 463)
- Clinical Practice and Seminar 1: Adapted (Severe Disabilities) (EDSE 465)
- Assessment and Program Planning for Adapted Curriculum (EDSE 533)
- Communication and Severe Disabilities (EDSE 534)
- Characteristics of Students with Mental Retardation (EDSE 542)
- Characteristics of Students with Severe Disabilities (EDSE 547)
- Foundations of Language and Literacy for Diverse Learners (EDSE 557)
- Internship in Special Education (EDSE 790)
- Independent Study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (EDUC 897)