Dr. Heather Walter
EdD, George Washington University
Early Childhood Education
Fax: This information is not available
Email: hwalter2 (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Thompson Hall 1252
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030
Dr. Heather Walter is an Assistant Professor in the Early Childhood Education program at George Mason University. Dr. Walter is a practitioner-scholar who brings more than 10+ years into the field of early childhood, elementary and special education with a particular focus on early childhood special education administration and teacher preparation.
Dr. Walter’s research draws upon interdisciplinary and participatory practices to understand the social-emotional development of all young children and the adults they serve in diverse educational contexts. Using implementation science and mixed methods, Dr. Walter’s research explores three critical areas: (1) The ways in which adults promote young children’s social emotional competencies and overall well-being, (2) the connection between education, retention, and well-being for practicioners in the field of education and (3) Coaching and mentoring and the role of the partnership to promote positive relationships and supportive practices.
Dr. Walter was recognized for the 2021 dissertation award in Mixed Methods for American Educational Research Association (AERA) as well as the poster winner for the Society for Research in Child Development (SCRD) that focuses on the importance of contributions for policy research. She also holds an Ed.S degree as a funded scholar through the George Washington University in Early Childhood Administration.
Early Childhood/ Early Childhood Special Education
Teacher Development/ Teacher Retention
Teacher and School-Based Well-being
Participatory Community Based Research
- Introduction to Early Childhood Special Education (ECED - 405)
- Inclusive Curriculum for Young Learners: Planning Instruction and Guidance (ECED - 503)
- Introduction to Early Childhood Special Education (ECED - 505)
- Internship in Early Childhood Education (ECED - 490)
- Seminar in Early Childhood Education for Diverse Learners (ECED - 491)
- Internship in Early Childhood Education (Non-Licensure) (ECED - 492)
- Inclusive Curriculum for Young Learners: Planning Instruction and Guidance (ECED 403)
- Developmental Pathways of Diverse Learners, Birth-Adolescence (ECED 501)
- Assessment of Diverse Young Learners (ECED 511)
- Internship in Early Childhood Education Prekindergarten-Third Grade (ECED 788)
- Internship in Early Childhood Special Education Birth - Five (ECED 789)