Dr. Debra R. Sprague
PhD, University of New Mexico
Center for International Education
Center for Social Equity Through Science Education
Elementary Education PK-6
Teaching and Teacher Education
Teaching Culturally, Linguistically Diverse & Exceptional Learners
Phone: (703) 993-2069
Fax: (703) 993-2013
Email: dspragu1 (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Thompson Hall 1403
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030
Dr. Sprague is an Associate Professor in the Graduate School of Education at George Mason University. She is assigned to the Elementary Education Program and teaches courses that focus on technology integration. Dr. Sprague also teaches courses in the Teaching and Teacher Education (TATE) PhD Program. Dr. Sprague completed her PhD. in the Summer of 1995 from the University of New Mexico. Her area of study was technology integration in teacher education.
Dr. Sprague's research interests focus on the use of technology to support teaching and learning. She is the co-author of Technology for Teaching, which looks at various technologies and ways to use them in the K-12 classroom. Dr. Sprague served as the editor for the Journal of Technology and Teacher Education for ten years (http://www.aace.org/pubs/jtate/default.htm).
Dr. Sprague has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Special Education/Elementary Education, and a Masters of Arts in Elementary Education with an emphasis on computers. She spent eight years teaching on the Navajo Reservation in New Mexico.
- Technology integration in Teacher Education
- Technology Integration in K-12
- Sprague, D. (2017). The future of technology: Personalized learning. InterEd, 44(123), 10-11. Available online at http://www.aaie.org/uploaded/publications/InterEd/InterED_2017/Spring_2017_InterED_Vol_44_No_123.pdf
- Zurawski Watkins, L., Sprague, D., Porter, A. & Williams, K. (2018). Evaluating university facilitators’ perceptions of video as an observational tool. In L.Ping & D. Gibson (Eds.). Research Highlights in Technology and Teacher Education 2018. SITE. (Refereed)
- Suh, J., Sprague, D., & Baker, C. (2016). Transforming mathematics teacher knowledge in the digital age through iterative design of course-based projects. In M. Neiss, S. Driskell, & K. Hollebrands (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Transforming Mathematics Teacher Education in the Digital Age. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Sprague, D. and Shaklee, B. (2015). Differentiating through technology for gifted students. In Lennex & Nettleton (Eds.) Cases on Instructional Technology in Gifted and Talented Education. IGI Global, 269-286.
Favorite Links (each opens in a new window)
Where the Story Never Ends - https://kidfanfiction.pbworks.com/ A website created for K-6 students to explore fan fiction.
- School of Education
- Division of Advanced Professional Teacher Development and International Education
- Division of Elementary, Literacy, and Secondary Education
- Elementary Education PK-6
- Teaching and Teacher Education
- Teaching Culturally, Linguistically Diverse & Exceptional Learners
- Advanced Studies in Teaching and Learning
- Learning Technologies in Schools
- Center for International Education
- Center for Social Equity Through Science Education
- Center for Digital Media, Innovation and Diversity
- Elizabeth G. Sturtevant, PhD, Center for Literacy
- Assessment of Language Learners (EDCI 520)
- Assessment and Differentiation (EDCI 545)
- Integrating Technology in Elementary Classrooms: Literacy (EDCI 546)
- Integrating Technology in Elementary Classrooms: Mathematics (EDCI 547)
- Integrating Technology in Elementary Classrooms: Social Studies and Fine Arts (EDCI 548)
- Integrating Technology in PreK-6 (EDCI 557)
- Research and Assessment in Elementary Education (EDCI 559)
- Special Topics in Education (EDCI 597)
- Internship in Education (EDCI 790)
- Technology and Diversity (EDIT 725)
- Technology and Teacher Development (EDIT 747)
- Foundations of Education (EDUC 542)
- Designing and Assessing Teaching and Learning (EDUC 614)
- Technology and Teacher Development (EDUC 852)
- Independent Study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (EDUC 897)
- Doctoral Dissertation Research (EDUC 999)
- Foundations of Elementary Education (ELED 242)
- Integrating Technology in PreK-6 (ELED 257)
- Integrating Technology in PreK-6 (ELED 357)