Dr. Dominique Banville
PhD, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Physical Education, Advanced Studies in Teaching and Learning
Academic Program Coordinator, Health and Physical Education
Phone: (703) 993-3579
Fax: This information is not available
Email: dbanvill (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030
Dr. Banville is the Academic Program Coordinator for the Health and Physical Education Licensure Program.
Since July 2016, Dr. Banville also serves as the Faculty Athletic Representative for George Mason University. In that role she evaluates and ensures that academic integrity of the intercollegiate athletics program, facilitates institutional control of athletics, and works at enhancing the student-athlete experience.
Dr. Banville research interests focus on the curriculum and Instruction of physical education in the schools, and the preparation, induction, and professional development of physical education teachers. She has investigated the impact of a teacher induction program on teacher success and retention in the profession, and is currently looking at the training of cooperating teachers, and the impact of the implementation of an after-school curriculum on low socio-economic kids. She is a member of many professional associations (SHAPE America, AERA, AIESEP, VAHPERD) and a fellow of the Research Consortium of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD - now SHAPE America).
- Middle and High School Physical Education
- Teacher preparation and professional development
- Teacher induction programs
- Marttinen, R., Daum, D., Banville, D., & Fredrick, R. (2019) Pre-service teachers learning through service-learning in a low SES school, Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, DOI: 10.1080/17408989.2019.1670153
- Banville, D., Dyson, B., Kulinna, P.H., & Stylianou, M. (2019) Classroom Teachers’ Views of Pupils’ Health and Wellness: An Aotearoa New Zealand Perspective. European Physical Education Review. DOI: 10.1177/1356336X19867731Kulinna, P. H., Stylianou, M., Dyson, B., Banville, D., Dryden, C, & Colby, R. (2018). The effect of authentic accute physical education session of dance on elementary student's selective attention. BioMed Research International, 2018, 8 pages. doi: 10.1155/2018/8790283.
- Banville, D., Kulinna, P.H., Dyson, B., Colby, R., Stylianou, M., & Dryden, C. (2016). Feeling refreshed: Aotearoa/New Zealand Students’ perceptions of the role of healthy behaviors in schools. European Physical Education Review, 1-19. doi: 10.1177/1356336X15624895
- Banville, D. (2015). Novice physical education teachers learning to teach. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 34, 259-277.
- Banville, D., White, C. S, Fox, R.K. (2014). Teacher Development during Advanced Master’s Course Work and Impact on Their Learning a Year Later. The Physical Educator, 7, 558-579.
- Rikard, G.L., & Banville, D. (2010). Effective Mentoring: Critical to the Professional Development of First Year Physical Educators. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, (29), 245-261.
- Banville, D., & Rikard. G.L. (2009). Teacher Induction-Implications for physical education teacher development and retention. Quest, 61, 237-256.
- Banville, D., & Polifko. M. (2009). Using digital video recorders in physical education to enhance and improve the learning environment. JOPERD, 80 (1), 17-21.
- Rikard, L., & Banville, D. (2006). High school student attitudes about physical education. Sport, Education, and Society, 11, 385-400.
- Banville, D. (2006). Analysis of exchanges between novice and cooperating teachers during internships using th NCATE/NASPE standards for teacher preparation in physical education as guidelines. Research Quarterly in Exercise and Sport, 77, 208-221.
- Advanced Topics in Education (EDUC 797)
- Doctoral Dissertation Research (EDUC 999)
- Introduction to Health and Physical Education (PHED 199)
- Teaching Skillful Movement (PHED 202)
- Field and Invasion Games (PHED 275)
- Psychomotor Learning (PHED 306)
- Student Assessment in Health and Physical Education (PHED 320)
- Social and Cultural Issues in Physical Education (PHED 340)
- Curriculum and Assessment in Physical Education (PHED 672)
- Mentoring and Supervising in Physical Education (PHED 680)
- Hospitality, Tourism, and Events Management Internship (TOUR 490)