Dr. Anna S. Evmenova
PhD, George Mason University
Assistive and Special Education Technology
Center for Social Equity Through Science Education
Helen A. Kellar Institute for Human disAbilities
Sp Ed: General Curriculum
Phone: (703) 993-5256
Fax: (703) 993-3681
Email: aevmenov (@gmu.edu)
George Mason University
Finley Building 201A
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030
Anya S. Evmenova, PhD is an associate professor in the Division of Special Education and disability Research. Dr. Evmenova teaches master and doctoral courses in special education, assistive technology, and research methods. She is an active contributor to the field of special education and assistive technology research, regularly publishing and presenting at national and international conferences. Her research interests include the use of assistive/instructional technology for cognitive development and access to academic instruction for learners with various abilities and needs; Universal Design for Learning (UDL); and effective online teaching and learning. Development and research of technology-based interventions for academic settings is the primary focus of her work. She has acquired $11 million in external funding to support her design research endeavors. Dr. Evmenova has been recognized for the use of UDL in her own teaching by the 2016 GMU Teaching Excellence Award for Technology-Enhanced Teaching and 2018 GMU Online Teaching Excellence Award. She has recently served as the President/Past President for the Council for Exceptional Children’s Innovations in Special Education Technology (ISET) Division. She is also a research strand advisor for the Assistive Technology Industry Association, and Vice president for Members at the International Academy for Research in Learning Disabilities. Dr. Evmenova is a member of editorial boards for top journals such as Exceptional Children and Journal of Special Education Technology. She is the Editor-in-Chief for the Assistive Technology Outcomes and Benefits journal. Finally, Dr. Evmenova also has a strong interest in international education. She has conducted numerous workshops on inclusive education and UDL for international teachers from all over the world. Her recent invited presentations were conducted in Pakistan, Argentina, and Cameroon.
- Single-subject/case research
- Mixed methods research
- Qualitative research
- Using assistive and instructional technology to support academic instruction for students with various abilities and needs
- Supporting content instruction for students with high-incidence disabilities with technology
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
- Providing effective and engaging online teaching and learning
- Exploring inclusive education around the world - international inclusive education
Rao, K., Ok, M. W., Sean, S. J., Evmenova, A. S., & Edyburn, D. (2019). Validation of the UDL reporting criteria with extant UDL research. Remedial and Special Education, Advance online publication. doi: 10.1177/0741932519847755.
Evmenova, A. S., & Regan, K. (2019). Supporting the writing process with technology for students with disabilities. Intervention in School and Clinic, 55(2), 78-87. doi: 10.1177/1053451219837636
Regan, K., Evmenova, A. S., MacVittie, N. P., Leggett, A., Ives, S. T., Schwartzer, J., Mastropieri, M., & Rybicki-Newman, M. P. (2019). A case of early adopters of technology in a social studies classroom. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 19(3). Retrieved from https://www.citejournal.org/volume-19/issue-3-19/social-studies/a-case-of-early-adopters-of-technology-in-a-social-studies-classroom.
Borup, J. & Evmenova, A. S. (2019). The effectiveness of professional development in overcoming obstacles to effective online instruction in a College of Education. Online Learning Journal, 23(2), 1-20. doi: 10.24059/olj.v23i2.1468.
Singleton, K. J., Evmenova, A. S., Kinas Jerome M., & Clark, K. (2019). Integrating UDL strategies into the online course development process: Instructional designers’ perspectives. Online Learning, 23(1), 206-235. doi:10.24059/olj.v23i1.1407
Boykin, A., Evmenova, A. S., Regan, K., & Mastropieri, M. (2019). The impact of a computer-based graphic organizer with embedded self-regulated learning strategies on the argumentative writing of students in inclusive cross-curricula settings. Computers & Education, 137, 78-90. doi: 10.1016/j.compedu.2019.03.008
Regan, K., Evmenova, A.S., Sacco, D., Schwartzer, J., Chirinos, D. S., & Hughes, M. D. (2019). Teacher perceptions of integrating technology in writing. Technology, Pedagogy, and Education, 28(1). 1-19. doi: 10.1080/1475939X.2018.1561507.
Brawand, A., King-Sears, M., Evmenova, A. S., & Regan, K. (2019). Proportional reasoning word problem performance for middle school students with high-incidence disabilities. Learning Disabilities Quarterly, Advance online publication. doi: 10.1177/0731948719837920.
Hughes, M., Regan, K., & Evmenova, A. S. (2019). A computer-based graphic organizer with embedded self-regulated learning strategies to support student writing. Intervention in School and Clinic, Advance online publication. doi: 10.1177/1053451219833026.
Evmenova, A. S., Graff, H. J., Motti, V. G., Giwa-Lawal, K., & Zheng, H. (2019). Designing a wearable technology intervention to support young adults with IDD in inclusive postsecondary academic environments. Journal of Special Education Technology, 34, 92-105. 10.1177/0162643418795833.
Evmenova, A. S. (2018). Preparing teachers to use Universal Design for Learning to support diverse learners. Journal of Online Learning and Research, 4, 147-171.
- College of Education and Human Development
- School of Education
- Division of Special Education and disAbility Research
- Sp Ed: General Curriculum
- Assistive and Special Education Technology
- Helen A. Kellar Institute for Human disAbilities
- Center for International Education
- Research Methodology
- Educational Psychology
- Learning Design and Technology
- Center for Social Equity Through Science Education
- Special Education
- Universal Design for Learning (EDAT 524)
- Directed Inquiry in Educational Psychology (EDEP 798)
- Educational Research in Technology (EDIT 590)
- Online Teaching Essentials (EDIT 710)
- Advanced Research Methods in Single Subject/Case Design (EDRS 823)
- Computer Applications for Special Populations (EDSE 517)
- Characteristics of Students with Disabilities who Access the General Curriculum (EDSE 540)
- Special Education Research (EDSE 590)
- Comprehensive Topics in Special Education: Trends and Issues (EDSE 782)
- Special Topics (EDSE 794)
- Application of Research Standards for Individuals with Disabilities (EDSE 842)
- Assessment, Evaluation, and Instrumentation in Special Education Research (EDSE 846)
- Independent Study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (EDUC 897)
- Advanced Internship in Education (EDUC 994)