Skip top navigation
College of Education and Human Development - George Mason University

Eligibility to Participate

To enroll in a GMU graduate course, a student must have an undergraduate degree; international participants must have the equivalency of a United States undergraduate degree and be eligible to attend classes in the United States. Proof of this eligibility must be on file with the school/agency offering the course through OES.

NOTE: Every student attending a contract course must be enrolled in the class by the 2nd class meeting. No students may continue to attend a class beyond the second class if he/she is not registered for the course. There are no late adds for contract courses. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that he/she has completed and signed the enrollment form and returned it to the instructor.

OES Contract Course Information for Students

Application of Contract Courses to Degree Programs

Any student enrolled in contract courses but not admitted to a GMU degree program is classified in non-degree status. OES contract courses are generally offered for graduate credit and for the purpose of professional development. A student enrolled in an OES course and admitted to a Mason degree program must discuss taking a contract course with his/her adviser PRIOR to the 1st course meeting to determine if the course is applicable to the degree program. In any case, no more than 12 credits taken in non-degree status can be applied toward a degree program. EDUC 500 and EDUC 600 are special topics courses and are not intended to transfer to degree programs.

Drop/Withdrawal Regulations

A student in good academic standing may drop a contract course without explanation and without academic penalty imposed by GMU provided no more than 20% of scheduled class meeting time has elapsed. A student wishing to drop a course should provide written notification to the instructor, who will then notify OES by phone, fax, or e-mail within the first 20% period. Any student not attending classes during the first 20% of the contract course will be dropped form the class roll (without penalty) unless he/she makes specific arrangements with the instructor.

A student in good academic standing needing to withdraw from a course after 20% of the schedule meeting time had elapsed must request that the instructor complete a Withdrawal Request Form. Both the instructor and the director of OES must approve permission to withdraw form a course at this point, which is granted only under special circumstances and ONLY for non-academic reasons. These non-academic reasons must specifically describe circumstances that could not have been anticipated and are beyond the student's control. Failure to comply with withdrawal request procedures will result in a failing grade.

Please note the policies described above are those of the GMU Office of Education Services. Host school divisions and other employers may have additional policies regarding student drops or withdrawals. Contact the school or agency for further information.

Accessing Grades

For Patriot Web (Fall 2004 and beyond) — If you have never accessed the system go to Patriot Web and click on the link to "Login to Patriot Web Self Service". Go to the highlighted "GMU ID Search Directory" link to view your Student ID (G#). Your initial default 6-digit PIN, which you will use to access Patriot Web, is your birth, month, day, and year in the format MMDDYY. (Example: March 1, 1980 = 030180). If you have accessed the system before, enter your UserID and click on the "Forgot PIN" button. If you are unable to access the system, please contact George Mason's ITU Support Center. Their offices are located in Innovation Hall, Room 223. The phone number is (703) 993-8870.


GMU transcripts are not available until the end of the semester in which the course is taken regardless of the course ending date. Procedures for requesting individual transcripts by students can be found at the Registrar's website.

NOTE: Transcripts will not be released to a student if any fees (parking, library, etc) are unpaid. It is the responsibility of the student to contact the Registrar's Office when fees have been paid.