College of Education & Human Development Graduation
Graduation Process Timeline
|Event||Summer 2016||Fall 2016||Spring 2017|
|Graduation Application is available on Patriot Web.||Jan 25, 2016||Apr 5, 2016||Nov 1, 2016|
|Graduation Application will be inactivated on Patriot Web.||July 1, 2016||Sep 30, 2016||Feb 24, 2017|
|Late Graduation Application will be required if above deadline was missed.||July 5, 2016 -
Sep 16, 2016
|Oct 3, 2016 -
Feb 3, 2017
|Feb 27, 2017 -
Jun 30, 2017
|Thesis and Dissertation Submission Deadline||July 29, 2016||Dec 9, 2016||May 5, 2017|
The Office of the University Registrar Graduation Section will begin to award degrees after this date. Degrees will not be officially awarded prior to this date. A 6-Week "Grace Period" is given to students to resolve certain issues delaying degree conferral such as incomplete grades, outstanding study elsewhere transcripts, or need for substitutions and waiver forms.
|Aug 6, 2016||Dec 21, 2016||May 20, 2017|
|End of the 6-week grace period
All incomplete coursework, even if not being applied to the degree, must be resolved and grades posted.
NOTE: All courses, projects, theses, dissertations, comps, credit-by-exam and scholarly papers must be completed by their deadline prior to the conferral date.
|Sep 16, 2016||Feb 3, 2017||Jun 30, 2017|
|Approximate mailing date of diplomas||Late September||Early February||Late June|
|Winter Graduation and Spring University Commencement||May 14, 2016||December 21, 2016||May 20, 2017|
Applying to Graduate
IMPORTANT: You must apply to graduate by the deadline on Patriot Web in order to have your name appear in the graduation programs and to receive your diploma.
- Should you miss this deadline, you will be required to submit a Late Graduation Application.
- Graduates that miss the above deadline will not have their name printed in either program.
- Please reference above for dates in which the online graduation application is available.
- Certificates students graduating from both a Masters and a Certificate OR just a Certificate need to apply to graduate through Patriot Web for their Certificate.
- For more information on applying to graduate, diplomas, and transcripts visit the Office of the University Registrar's website.
For any questions or concerns regarding graduation, please feel free to contact the Graduation Coordinator at askCEHD@gmu.edu.
What's the difference between Commencement and Convocation?
- The entire university community is involved in commencement
- Ceremony begins with graduates processing through campus
- Official university guest speaker delivers commencement address
- Selected student speaker representing the class of 2017 delivers address
- Event is televised
- Tickets are required for this event for every guest. Each graduate may obtain six guest tickets
- PhD graduates are individually recognized and photographed on stage receiving their degrees
- Caps and gowns are worn
- Convocations are smaller ceremonies held by each individual college to recognize their students
For more commencement information visit the Office of Events Management’s website
All parking lots on campus are available for guest parking. Handicapped and special-assistance parking is available in Lot A adjacent to the EagleBank Arena, South Entrance.
Most diplomas will be mailed to the students' "diploma address," which is specified when the student applies to graduate, within five to seven weeks after degree conferral.
Commencement & Graduation Web Site
Caps and Gowns
Commencement and Convocation at Mason is a traditional ceremony where graduates and faculty wear caps and gowns. Master's candidates must also wear a master's hood. Please state your field of study when purchasing your hood because different colors denote different fields of study (for example, economics, copper).