The Center for International Education (CIE) was established in 2005 and was successfully rechartered in 2008 and 2011. Faculty affiliated with CIE focus on international education related research and teaching to better understand formal, nonformal and informal systems in diverse contexts. To learn more about our work, read our report of activities from 2019-2022, 2017-2019, and 2014-2017.
CIE supports projects that explore the nature of international education, professional development activities that advance international and intercultural understanding through education, and promote equity worldwide.
The Center is aligned with CEHD’s mission and priorities including an international orientation toward social justice, critical reflection, research-based practices, innovation and ethical leadership. Our mission is to explore the nature of international education, advance international and intercultural understanding, and promote equity worldwide.
To support our mission, we:
- Undertake research that addresses issues of social injustice and inequity worldwide;
- Design and implement research and development projects in PK-university settings to build educators’ capacities for teaching and learning experiences around the world;
- Support academic programs to enhance teaching and learning in international contexts;
- Connect incoming international teachers, scholars and administrators to local teachers, scholars and administrators to benefit the students and communities they serve;
- Seek ways to develop international mindedness in domestic and international schools and programs;
- Promote life-long professional development opportunities for those involved at every level of international education work.