Virginia Teaching Scholarship Loan Program (VTSLP)
Application|Deadline to submit application: September 15, 2014 by 12 noon
Subject to available funding, these scholarship loans are available for teacher candidates, including graduate students and paraprofessionals from Virginia school divisions at an accredited public or private four-year institution of higher education in the Commonwealth.
Candidates must (i) be enrolled full-time or part-time in an approved (undergraduate or graduate level) teacher education program or are participants in another approved teacher education program; (ii) have maintained a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.7 on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent; and (iii) be nominated for such scholarship by the institution where they are enrolled. Undergraduates at or beyond the sophomore year in college, must have been in the top 10 percent of their high school class.
n addition, the candidates must meet one or more of the following criteria: (a) be enrolled in a program leading to an endorsement in a critical shortage area as established by the Board of Education [i.e., Special Education, Elementary Education (Pk-6), Middle Education (Grades 6-8), Career and Technical Education, Health & Physical Education (PK-12), English, Foreign Languages (PreK-12), History and Social Sciences (Grades 6-12), Mathematics (Grade 6-12, including Algebra I), School Counselor(PreK-12)]; (b) be a male teacher candidate in an elementary or middle school education program; (c) be a minority teacher candidate enrolled in any teacher endorsement area; or (d) be a student in an approved teacher education program leading to an endorsement in career and technical education. Teacher candidates who previously received funding through the Virginia Teaching Scholarship Loan Program are not eligible.
Complete applications must be submitted directly to the Mason College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) Student and Academic Affairs (SAA) office. You may either drop off or mail your application to:
College of Education and Human Development (CEHD)
Student and Academic Affairs
Attn: Kerry Marianos
4400 University Drive, MS 4B4
2300 Thompson Hall
Fairfax, VA 22030
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI)
The scholarship will be awarded to one undergraduate or graduate student who’s committed to lifelong learning. To apply for this scholarship, please forward the following documents to Afsaneh Ziaee. Application/deadline (To-be-announced)
- An unofficial transcript (may be printed from https://patriotweb.gmu.edu/ )
- A resume
- A personal statement explaining your academic and/or interest in promoting lifelong learning
The recipient of this scholarship will be invited to attend the OLLI Teacher Appreciation Reception. Date/location TBA.
Tom Haggai and Associates Foundation Scholarship (THA)
Tom Haggai and Associates Foundation Scholarship in Early Childhood and Elementary Education
In accordance with the wishes of the THA Foundation, scholarship candidates must include the following in their application packet by (deadline for 2015-2016 application: to-be-announced).
Proof of being a documented career switcher – evidence that you have been employed in a profession outside of education for at least one year or are still currently employed outside of education and making the switch.
- A one page (maximum) statement addressing how the financial support of the scholarship will make a difference and providing evidence of economic need for the scholarship to continue your education.
- A one to two (1-2) page personal statement sharing why you have chosen to become a teacher, your educational goals, and how your personal and professional goals are consistent with those of the THA Foundation.
- A completed Personal Information Sheet providing contact information, program area, GPA, etc.
Additional supporting documentation required in the application packet:
- Faculty recommendation – at least one member of your program’s faculty must submit a written recommendation endorsing your application. (Recommendations may be submitted via email to Afsaneh Ziaee.
- Employer recommendation – letter of support from your current and/or former employer. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
Send completed packets to Afsaneh Ziaee. All documents may be either emailed to Afsaneh Ziaee, faxed to 703-993-2082 or mailed to 4400 University Dr., MS 4B4, Fairfax, VA 22030.