Welcome from the Director, Dr. Beverly Shaklee
The Center for International Education (CIE) is housed in the College of Education and Human Development at George Mason University (Mason). CIE is committed to developing international partnerships, delivering high quality academic programs and building the capacity of domestic and international institutions to better serve children, family, community and educators.
Mason is situated in the heart of the Washington, DC metropolitan area, and was recently named as the most diverse campus in the United States. Within this context, the Center for International Education believes that education provides the means to bring together the richness of diverse populations, to improve opportunities for all people and to transform our world.
- Making Room For More Indira Gandhis: The Evolution Of Women Leaders In Local Elections
On November 19th, 2013 CIE faculty Dr. Supriya Baily will speak at Drexel University as part of the School of Education’s Global Education Colloquium.
- Opportunities to Participate in an International Literacy Project in Santa Avelina, Guatemala
The Greater Washington Reading Council (GWRC) co-sponsors a literacy project in the rural highlands of Guatemala. Many opportunities to participate are available, including joining a group of educator volunteers in July for a week of on-site teacher training in best practices for literacy instruction.
- Association for the Advancement of International Education AAIE’s 48th Annual Conference: Eyes on the Future: Future Trends and Foresight Education
AAIE’s 48th Annual Conference will take place from February 4-6, 2014 in Boston, Massachusetts. This year’s theme is Eyes on the Future: Future Trends and Foresight Education.
- International Teacher Education Conference
The International Teacher Education Conference will take place February 5-7, 2014 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. There is a call for papers and posters/demonstrations that offer new research or theoretical contributions. Presenters who are unable to attend the conference are welcome to make video presentations. The proposal and abstract submission deadline is January 24, 2014.
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)’s Global Summit on Childhood
ACEI’s Global Summit on Childhood will examine the societal changes that may provide opportunities for or threaten a positive childhood experience for the world's children. ACEI welcomes presentation proposals on practice, policy, and research from a variety of sectors. The Global Summit on Childhood will take place April 10-13, 2014 in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Alliance for International Education (AIE) Biennial Conference, Intercultural Understanding: Reflection, Responsibility and Action
The Alliance for International Education will hold its biennial conference on October 10-12, 2014 in Mumbia, India. The conference programme will include keynote presentations by distinguished speakers, and a series of related strand sessions based on small group presentations and discussion around a range of strand topics. Please see the Call for Papers for further information regarding opportunities to present
- Washington Consortium of Comparative & International Education Conference
Several of Mason’s International Education Doctoral students presented at the annual Washington Consortium of Comparative and International Education Conference at American University in April 2013.
- George Mason ranked in the Top Five for Peace Corp Master's International and Fellows/USA Graduate School Programs
The Peace Corps' Master's International program allows students to earn their graduate degree while serving in the Peace Corps, and the Fellows/USA program provides RPCVs with scholarships, academic credit, and stipends to earn an advanced degree after they complete their Peace Corps service.